Q. How can a circumcision ring be lightened?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to lighten a circumcision ring? Any prescription creams or lasers?

#

I would not advise you to use any creams over the penile area to lighten the pigmentation. Since it is a very sensitive area, applying depigmentation creams can lead to side effects if it contains steroids. Depigmentation creams containing kojic acid and others will not help either. It is normal skin tone (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and you should not consider any topical applications. And lasers to reduce pigmentation is not advised over the penile area.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Perhaps, I am overanalyzing it. Does it look particularly dark to you? How about an ayurvedic approach such as sandalwood, Aloe Vera, etc.? That will not hurt it, right? It is the only thing that makes me self-conscious about it. Everything else looks fine, right?

#

Post-circumcision, it is bound to look like this (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is completely normal. Ayurvedic treatment again I would not advise. Aloe Vera gel acts as a moisturizer; it does not have any role in reducing pigmentation. Post-circumcision, the mucosal part gets exposed that is why skin looks lighter than the rest of skin. So, it is normal to have that. Hence, you cannot reduce the pigmentation which is normal.

|