Q. I suffer from hypothyroidism and taking medicines. How to change the dosage of the medicine?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2021

I suffer from hypothyroidism for more than ten years. My TSH remains fluctuated between 7 to 50 mIU/L. My adrenal function, blood sugar, and urine report are normal. I have a hemoglobin of 13 g/dL and a TPO antibody above 1000. Normally, hypothyroid patients take around 50 to 100 mcg of Thyroxine. I am taking a half tablet of 12.5 mcg Thyronorm on alternate days. After taking it, I have heavy tiredness, muscle ache, lack of appetite, feeling like a drug addict. Why is this happening to me? If I stop taking a thyroxine dose, I start to have dullness, slowness in movements and it gets increased day by day. Kindly advise.

#

Your dose of Thyronorm remains low. Kindly tell me about the time of taking medication.

I am taking tablets early in the morning before 45 minutes of taking breakfast. I know that my dose remains low. But I cannot take 75 or 50 or 25 mcg. As I mentioned earlier, I take approximately 6 mcg on alternate days. It makes my body and blood toxic. I am not able to quit this medicine totally as it causes dullness and slowness in everything.

#

This medication has interaction with many drugs such as iron tablets, calcium, and others. So I suggest you avoid taking anything for three to four hours of taking Thyroxine. If you are taking any milk products like tea in milk or anything in the breakfast, avoid taking it or you can take your medication at night before sleeping. Avoid taking anything for three to four hours of taking medication. Please mention the symptoms you experience after taking it and after how much time of taking it.

I have never taken this medicine before sleep. I will try to take it.

#

Initially, start taking it with 12.5 mcg. If you do not have any symptoms for three days, then increase it to 25 mcg.

My doubt is not cleared. I understand that I should take 50 to 75 mcg dose as my TSH remains around fluctuated around 7 to 50 mIU/L. But I have some complications and some worse symptoms after taking it. I do not take any medication except thyroxine. Can I have any other factors affecting my body? I am a hypothyroid patient and I am not able to take a sufficient dose of my medicine as it causes some complications in my body. I am underweight with a weight of 49 kilograms. I feel weak. I seem to be lean with low energy lethargic person. My height is five feet five inches.

#

If you are having symptoms due to intake of Levothyroxine, this does not mean that you have an underlying disease. Some people cannot tolerate some specific medications. There is nothing to do with your body dysfunction. If you still have any symptoms, then you need to change the brand of Thyroxine. You can change Thyronorm to Thyroxine or Eltroxin.

|