Q. How long can I take Ibuprofen for pain from broken ribs?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2019

I am a 65 year old female, and I fell 10 days back and broke one or two ribs. The only thing that brings any relief is Ibuprofen 800 mg. I need to know how often and for how long can I take Ibuprofen? I tried Oxycodone 10 mg, but it does not work that well. Thank you.

#

• Yes, Ibuprofen is a strong painkiller, it should not often be taken, as it has many side effects like gastritis, liver and kidney damage. But in initial days of pain following rib fracture, pain is actually very severe. I suggest you try doing the following:
  1. Tramadol 50 mg twice daily or Oxycodone twice daily. Take Ibuprofen only when pain is severe.
  2. Local application of Diclofenac containing gel, like Volini gel.
  3. Hot fomentation of the affected area.
  4. Discuss with your doctor to switch you to tablet Diclofenac sustained-release for pain, as it gives a long-term relief. It does have side effects, but you may not need to take it frequently if taken along with Tramadol or Oxycodone.
  • For initial 4 to 6 weeks, your pain would trouble you. So, my advice would be to take Diclofenac or Ibuprofen, only when you have unbearable pain as taking it daily for 4 to 6 weeks would cause you a lot of undesirable side effects. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  • I would highly recommend you application of topical gel, as it gives you relief from pain for a few hours with minimal adverse effects, as its systemic absorption is low.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you so much. I will follow your advice.

#

• I wish you a speedy recovery. Good luck. Please feel comfortable to ask me any question.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|