Q. I am having trouble sleeping for quite some time now. Could it be an effect of Propecia?

Dr. Peter Grutas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

I am having trouble sleeping for quite some time now. I do not fall asleep fast, and I have not really felt good even after sleeping. Instead, I feel quite tired as I keep waking up several times in the middle of the night. I am taking Propecia for my hair problems, could it be an effect of that medicine? Also, I read that some are taking Melatonin supplements to help them sleep at night. Would you recommend it to me, or will it have a bad effect since I am taking other medication?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for reaching out. How long have you been taking Propecia? One of the adverse effects of Propecia includes sleep behavior changes such as insomnia. Other cognitive effects include difficulty in maintaining attention, emotional sensitivity, depression effect, and anxiety that may lead to functional decline. I would recommend you to speak to your doctor about these. With regards to your question regarding Melatonin, yes, you may take Melatonin 5 mg, one tablet 30 minutes before bedtime. You may also take Cetirizine 10 mg, one tablet 30 min before bedtime to facilitate sleep. I hope this helps. Is there anything else I can help you with?

|