Q. My sleep gets disturbed by dreams and breathlessness. What to do?

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair
Published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have used Sizodon LS in the morning and night for a month under doctor's prescription. After that for the last four months, I am getting disturbed sleep by breathlessness and dreams. It is tough for me to get a sound sleep. My ECG and MRI scan are normal. Please advise me to get healthy sleep.

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• Are you still taking Sizodon (Risperidone)? If not, then do you have any other symptoms other than sleep disturbances? Why have you been prescribed Sizodon in the first place?
  • Reduce weight and do daily exercise to prevent breathing issues during sleep.
  • If there are attacks of anxiety and panic during sleep, I suggest a small dose of Clonazepam 0.25 mg or Stilnoct 6.25 mg (Zolpidem) at night. It might help to get rid of nightmares, panic and will contribute to maintaining sleep. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

My present doctor prescribed one Risperidone at night. I do not have any other symptoms, but dreams are waking me up from sleep. I have been prescribed Sizodon because I have asked my previous doctor to bring me out from unwanted thoughts.

I have used internet two years continuously. I was talking with a person indirectly. Later, I have started seeing our conversation on facebook and youtube.

As a result, I fell into a situation that whether I was in remote monitoring or I was just being paranoid and seeing things which are just co-incidental. So, I went to a doctor and asked for rescue from all those two years of situational thoughts and remembrance. Because, those conversations were sexual.

I felt he was watching me and he would describe my moments accurately I was just paranoid; however, Sizodon is worked to stop my thoughts related to those two years.

Now, I am having a problem with sleeping. My present doctor gave Razo and Dyskinil in the morning, Risperdal and Olimelt 5 at night. 10 days before, he gave Ativan 1 mg to have in the evening.

I know Ativan is temporary. What shall I do? I lost 5 kg in four months. Mostly, I am walking throughout the day. Other than Ativan, all these days I was unable to sleep due to dreams. I am scared. Please help.

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

#

I understand your concern.

• You seem to be suffering from certain symptoms, which are of concern and sleep disturbances. Since you are having weight loss and sleep loss, I would recommend certain changes in your current medicines.
  • I suggest increasing Olanzapine (Oliza) to 10 mg at night. It will help in the paranoia you are experiencing and the sleep. Reduce Risperidone to half of the current dosage and stop it in a week.
  • Temporarily you can use Ativan (Lorazepam) 2 mg for two weeks, then reduce it to half for another two weeks and then 0.5 mg for another two weeks and stop. By that time Olanzapine would start acting in its full strength.
  • We may have to increase Olanzapine to 15 or 20mg depending on your response to treatment. The usual effective dose is 10 to 20 mg.

| 

I have stopped using internet for unnecessary use. For normal internet usage, I do not have paranoia. In daily life too I do not have paranoia. I am using Razo IP 20 mg before breakfast and Dyskinil after breakfast. Risperdal 1 mg and Olimelt 5 at night. How to come out of all these medicines? Please help.

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

#

You can stop Razo (Rabeprazole) anytime if you follow healthy food habits. Regarding rest of the medicines, kindly follow my last advice.

We can reduce other medicines in a couple of months once your symptoms are better.

| 
Dear doctor
Are you sure I can follow your prescription?
Will you be available for follow up months online ?
I am from hyderabad south India
Is my sleeplessness curable with olanzapine?

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

#

I will be available for follow up.

Olanzapine is usually effective in the symptoms you mentioned.

Again effects depend on individuals and since you also reported of weight loss,olanzapine is a better choice since it increases weight and appetite.

Regards Dr.Manjunadh

| 
Doctor
Tomorrow onwards at NIGHTS half resperidine 1 mg(0.5?)(to completely stop after 10 days)and oliza 10 to 20 mg,MORNINGs razo before break fast and pacitane after break fast .
Is this prescription ok for 1 month?
ARE YOU SURE coming out from resperidine in 10 days OK ?half tablet to sudden stop ok?
Weight loss is there due to I am walking whole day.
Weight loss is good for me.

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

# Hi,
I advising the changes because of the problems you mentioned,the medication history you gave was 5 mg olimelt with 1 mg risnia,
You can stop risperidone as i suggested in tendays,increase olanzapine to 10mg from 5 mg,in case you are already on 10mg,increase it to 15 mg,Rabiprazole you can stop if you dnt have gastritis or stomach pain,its not a long term medication.Pacitane continue for the timebeing,we can consider stopping it after sometime
Regards

| 
Doctor,
Which olanzapine (oliza?olimelt?olianz?or any other?)i should start using from today?
Because in future if i have to come out of olanzapine too which tablet will be good and easy?(to reduce gradually ,making half etc)

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

# Hi,
Any of the brands you mentioned above will do.(oliza ,olimelt,olianz)Olanzapine is available in all dosages so its easy to tapper of,don't think of reducing it now,once your symptoms are better will think of that.Its not a drug to be cut in to half and use because it il loose its effect but its available in all dose range like 2.5,5,10 mg,you can start from today,adjust the other drugs as i mentioned above.
Regards

| 
Is two 5 mg tablets make one 10 mg.or I have to buy 10 mg seperate.any bio molecule change?

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

# Hi,.
You can use anyways,either two 5 mg or one tablet of 10 mg,both can be used no molecular issues
Regards

| 
Respected doctor,
I have started taking 10 mg olanzapine.
I am very relieved that I had good sleep after august 2016.
But
After 8 hours of good sleep,before waking time again(please read my first messages to you about dream problem)dreams came and woke me up.
Problem with dream is my left side brain and heart responding to dreams at my unconcious stage.Then I am waking up.
No Violent dreams .Still my heart rate increasing and some kind of heat at my left side brain.
EEG result said (Intermittent posterior dominant sharp wave transients seen in the record bilaterally.)
Is this EEG report and left side brain activity while dreaming have any connection?
Shall i take your previous prescribed medication for not to dream ?If yes how long?Is that safe to take along with olanzapine?
Or
Shall I wait and see olanzapine use may reduce dreaming?
I am worrying why this is happening.
Is this a common treatable problem?
Regards

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

# Hi,
Its ok don't worry too much, let us give medicines some time to act,it will take time and let's hope good response, what you are describing is like a panic attack or an rem sleep disorder, Since you are getting proper sleep continue the same,since you were on zolpidem for few days before there can be withdrawal effect.But it will get relieved in a few days,see for a week with the same dosage and see the response, whatever may be it can be treated. so relax

| 
Please read my first message to you.and please reply

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

# Hi,
I think that was a system generated mistake the above message, sorry about that.Iam happy that you had sleep,just give it a few more days and the symptoms you are describing seem like more of a panic attack sort,it could be due to the withdrawal of drugs you were on.Anyway keep olanzapine 10mg and continue,it may take up to 2 weeks for full effects, in case you develop any other symptoms all can be treated, just relax and go ahead.Know that too much worry also can cause issues.Do daily exercises or yoga,have a healthy active life and food
Regards

| 
Doctor good morning,
I am using olanzapine 10 mg and resperidone half of 1 mg for nights(to tapper off) ,pacitane for morning.
1)Shall i add clonazepam 0.25 mg or stillnoct 6.25 mg to get rid of dreams and maintain good sleep?
2)
If yes how long can i use clonazepam or still noct.
How many i have to buy?
3)Can i use Olanzapine and clonazepam combination ?
No harm?

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

# Hi,
continue tappering off
continue pacitane
Stilnoct 6.25 mg is a good choice for dreams and sleep than clonazepam since addiction potential is less
Its safe with olanzapine,Continue stinoct for another 4 weeks,in case stilnoct is not working you can Change to clonazepam no issues
Its safe
Regards

| 
Just to inform you for better diagnosis.

My age 44,m.a b.ed,single mother,no bp or diabetis.

Children son and daughter both engineers.

Walking throughout the day.lost 5 kg in 5 months.
Present weight 70.height 5.2

Taking healthy food.

I do not have paranoia in real life.
I spoke with a person online and skid into paranoia.

Thus changed life style with healthy habits.

Thank you for your yesterday message and suggessions.

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

# Hi
Yes madam,continue the same life style,you will be totally fine, don't worry about what happened,you may have to reduce a bit more weight,practice yoga too if possible
All the best

| 

I suffer from insomnia. What can be done to get a good sleep?

Query: Hello doctor,I suffer from insomnia that had increased in the last year. I used a lot of medications that were prescribed to me by my local physicians such as (Diazepam, Lorazepam, Alprazolam, and Mirtazapine). Initially, it is useful at the beginning and then insomnia returned. I also follow a beha...  Read Full »

Can panic attack occur while taking antidepressants?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female with a 15 year history of panic disorder with medicine sensitivity. I have been on Effexor XR 75 mg for six months and have been stable. Last week my tooth was pulled out and I was put on Motrin 800. I had around two tablets for three days and it made me feel fuz...  Read Full »