Q. How can I stop passing stools several times a day?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

I am 23 years old. I weigh about 70 kg. I usually pass stools several times a day. That means after wake up at 6.15 AM I pass stools then again after break fast at 6.45 AM, then I pass again at 9.00 AM, then again after lunch and once in the evening at 6 PM. I have a stooling sensation through out the day. Is this a serious problem? Please suggest.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Frequent passing of stool is definitely abnormal. But the cause depends on the consistency of stool. If it is loose then we need to be worried.

I need some information and would suggest a few investigations. What is the consistency of stool? Is there any blood or mucus in the stool? Any fever? Weight loss? Pain in the abdomen? If the answer for all these questions are no, then do x-ray abdomen. Is there any constipation? We also need to do a complete blood count (CBC) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) now. tTG (tissue transglutaminase) can be done later if there is any abnormality in these tests.

CBC, TTGA, x-ray abdomen.

Tablet Albendazole 400 mg one tablet stat and one tablet after two weeks. Rest of the things to be decided after reports or details.

Review back with details.

| 

Though I have constant stooling sensation, my stool is very hard and I have gas trouble.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

It is all because of poor bowel clearance. We need to clear your intestine stool with the help of laxatives and then need to continue on maintenance laxatives. Dietary modification is also needed with plenty of water intake.

IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), constipation.

Take Polyethylene glycol 130 gm in two liters of water stat. Continue with the same medication of 30 gm per day. Consume high fibre diet. Take plenty of water. Take 500 ml water before defecation every time. Sit in the toilet at least three times a day without any force for 10 minutes.

Review back with details after one week.

| 

I am having stooling sensation only, but the stool is not coming. Why? I have attached the investigation reports.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

I have seen the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is what I was expected, the x-ray shows fecal loading. The rest of the reports are normal. We need to clear your intestine.

Constipation? IBS

Take Polyethylene Glycol 130 gm (one packet of Peglec) in two liters of water stat. Continue with Laxopeg two sachets once daily at night time with 200 ml water. We need to give at least for three months. Consume high fiber diet. Take plenty of water. Take 500 ml of water before defecation, every time. Sit in the toilet at least three times a day without any force for 10 minutes.

Review after one week or as per your requirement.

| 

Please give suggestion for passing stool only one time a day, because my job has a lot of traveling. After eating food I get stooling sensation and have to go to the restroom for four to five times a day.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

Yes, our target is to establish one-time defecation. But for that we need to clear your bowls because if we do not clear then you will always feel incomplete evacuation, so you need to go multiple times. That is why we advise a mega dose of laxatives in the starting.

X-ray shows that the bowel is loaded with feces. Once it gets clear then it will regularize. A longstanding problem takes time to resolve. We advise toilet training because it will help to normalize regular bowel movements. This is the way of treatment. There is no short cut for long-lasting effects.

| 

Are migrating motor complex and fasting with IBS related?

Query: Hello doctor, Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome? Why fasting may help IBS? Why fasting may not help IBS? What is migrating motor complex, and how is it related to fasting with IBS?  Read Full »

What are the specific ways to bring down the symptoms of IBS?

Query: Hi doctor, Please say about the specific ways to reduce the IBS symptoms.  Read Full »

Kindly suggest the most effective laxative for my mother's constipation.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 80 years old, has diabetes, high BP and thyroid since last 15 years. She is under control with medicines. She has chronic constipation since last 30 years and uses different laxatives. In the past one year, her constipation has increased and even high doses of laxatives...  Read Full »