Q. Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome?

Dr. Babu T G

Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome? Why fasting may help IBS? Why fasting may not help IBS? What is migrating motor complex, and how is it related to fasting with IBS?

Dr. Babu T G

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Fasting is not better for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Fasting in IBS causes hypoglycemia, and further causes giddiness, so it cannot favor IBS. MMC (mucosal mast cell) is associated with IBS with autonomous dysfunction. Factors that reduce the IBS are stress reduction, avoid masala foods and take regular proper diet.

I suggest taking tablet Librax (Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium bromide) 10 mg two times a day along with Omeprazole for seven days before food. Take curd or yogurt daily to resolve the IBS and do meditation daily for about half an hour.

|