Q. Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome?

Dr. Babu T G
Published on Nov 10, 2019

Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome? Why fasting may help IBS? Why fasting may not help IBS? What is migrating motor complex, and how is it related to fasting with IBS?

Dr. Babu T G

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Fasting is not better for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Fasting in IBS causes hypoglycemia, and further causes giddiness, so it cannot favor IBS. MMC (mucosal mast cell) is associated with IBS with autonomous dysfunction. Factors that reduce the IBS are stress reduction, avoid masala foods and take regular proper diet.

I suggest taking tablet Librax (Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium bromide) 10 mg two times a day along with Omeprazole for seven days before food. Take curd or yogurt daily to resolve the IBS and do meditation daily for about half an hour.

Please suggest some ayurveda medicine for IBS.

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting diarrhea for five days in a month. Also, I always have loose stool. When I consulted my doctor I came to know that it is irritable bowel syndrome. I would like to get it cured through ayurveda medicine. Please suggest me a treatment.  Read Full »

Is fasting blood sugar 131 considered diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's fasting glucose is 131. Her post lunch glucose level is 121 and urine does not contain sugar. Her HbA1c is 6. 2. Her height is 5.4 and weight is 68 kg. What to do now?  Read Full »

What are the specific ways to bring down the symptoms of IBS?

Query: Hi doctor, Please say about the specific ways to reduce the IBS symptoms.  Read Full »

Ask a Dietician Now