Q. Why do I get stool smell in my anus always?

Dr. Viral Dineshchandra Vyas

I have an issue that really needs taken care of. I am not sure which type of medical professional I should be seeing? I have gone to a gastroenterologist and got a colon exam. They said they did not see anything wrong. But I have had this issue for a few years now and it is not getting any better. I seem to constantly have a fecal odor. My rectum area always feels moist and smells constantly like poop. I will be in the shower scrubbing and soaping up my butt and by the time I get out my anus already smells like poop. Every time, I have a bowel movement, I have to either shower or use soap and water to clean off as best I can, even though minutes later it starts smelling again. I clean myself much more thoroughly than I feel most people do but it does no good. I am also really gassy if that might be related. Always feeling like I have to fart or like I need to poop. It never feels like I am able to fully evacuate my bowels on the toilet. I am also very sweaty in my groin butt area. It probably does not help any. What should I do now?

Dr. Viral Dineshchandra Vyas

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I read your query. You have feeling of incomplete evacuation, smell of stool persistently and also gas problem. I would like to know what is your daily bowel frequency. I would suggest you to check with gastroenterologist regarding finding of your rectal examination which should be done by finger. If it was not done it should be done to check the synchronization of your rectal muscle contraction and anal sphincter contraction as you have mentioned you have incomplete evacuation. A special test called manometry can also help to check the muscle coordination.

Regarding gas problems, you can modify your diet e.g. if you are lactose intolerant reduce milk and milk products. If you are taking too much protein in your diet you can reduce it. You can give me feedback once you try this suggestion.

| 

Am I suffering from achalasia or GERD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male. I recently had a severe chest pain like heartburn and visited a gastroenterologist doctor. I am also suffering from swallowing disorder for the past seven to eight months, especially solid foods and sometime liquids too. It feels that whenever I eat food it stuck ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for itchy rashes around anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got rashes around my anus. They have grown into serious itch. It has been more than three months now, but I cannot get then treated. I applied Betamil GM, but in vain. Please tell me what to apply. Thank you.  Read Full »

I am suffering from incomplete evacuation of bowel with abdominal pain. Is this IBS?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from alternate loose stool and constipation, with the feeling of incomplete evacuation of bowel with abdominal pain for the past five to six months. I feel it is IBS. Kindly guide.  Read Full »