Q. Why do I have a wet feeling inside the anus?

Answered by
Dr. Rashmi Singh
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have a wet feeling inside the anus for the past one year. I did a colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy, and the doctor said that everything is fine. They said probably the wet feeling is due to sweat.

Swab culture and sensitivity report showed up Klebsiella pneumoniae. I took Augmentin 625 and applied ointments. But I feel it is some liquid discharge from the anus skin. Can you suggest some medication?

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  1. When was the swab culture and sensitivity done?
  2. Did you take Augmentin before or after it started? And for how long?
  3. Is the discharge purulent, clear or white thick?
  4. Do you have any other complaints like pain or itching?
  5. Do you have any other medical conditions like diabetes?
  6. Do you take medicines for anything?
  7. Do you have any gastrointestinal disorder?

An anal leak is mostly due to underlying reasons, which need to be thoroughly investigated. Although we can together try reaching out on differential diagnosis.


Revert with more information to a cosmetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Thank you doctor,

The culture and sensitivity test was done five months back. I took Augmentin for 10 days after the swab test. The discharge is clear, more of wetness and rarely any seepage. I do not have itching or any other complaints. I do not have any other illness, and I do not take any medicines.

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

That it is not painful or itchy rules out a lot of reasons. Applying Clotrimazole powder is a good idea. I would suggest you redo the swab to see if antibiotics brought elimination of the bacteria or not. Sometimes, moist areas can further favor the growth of fungus.

I suggest the following:

  1. If you are straining too hard to defecate, I would suggest you add a probiotic to your diet. That can cause leaking anus.
  2. Another thing to rule out is a fistula. In this case, you have to meet a surgeon to get this checked.
  3. It is generally a good idea to get yourself checked for inflammatory bowel disease because they are the most common causes of leaky anus if you do not have hemorrhoids.

In some cases, these things remain undiagnosed and idiopathic. Including probiotics and an active lifestyle have helped some people to control it when no underlying cause is found.

I hope this was helpful. Regards.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Hi doctor,

I have done the swab culture and sensitivity again. Report is enclosed. Please prescribe some medicine to treat the problem.

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology


Welcome back to icliniq.com,

Since you have already taken Augmentin and the swab report shows sensitivity to Augmentin, it is unlikely that it is caused by E.coli. In any case we can try one more course of antibiotic like Cefuroxime 500 mg twice a day for 10 days. With that apply Clotrimazole powder morning and night.

Did you get yourself checked for fistula and inflammatory bowel diseases? That should be the done, and also add probiotics to your diet. Hope I am s clear about what to do next. Regards

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Can you suggest a medicine for wet feeling in the anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some wet feeling in the anus for the past one year. I had both colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. The doctor said everything is fine. They said probably the wet feeling is due to sweat. But, I feel it is some liquid discharge from the anus skin. Can you suggest some medication?  Read Full >>

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: HI, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. It is better to take discharge over swab and send it for culture and sensitivity. If you have any growth over it, then get treated based on the sensitivity. For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask...  Read Full

How to cure recurrent vaginal yeast infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having recurrent vaginal yeast infections for the last six months. I have taken medications earlier. The gynecologist prescribed Azithral 500 mg in the beginning. After that, the doctor gave me tablet Orni-O. The first time it got cured. When it came back again, she presc...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhi Rohit Jain
Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have repeated yeast infection, you require following investigations: Vaginal swab: Culture and sensitivity which will tell the type of infection and which medicine would be effective. Blood Hemoglobin Level: As females who are anemic (low hemoglobin level...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cosmetologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.