Q. Is it safe to do extraction without wearing gloves?

Dr. Shwetha Hegde
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2019

I took my mother to a dentist. She hit the tooth hard with a hammer and chisel to remove the second molar of upper jaw. She has experience as a dentist for 30 years; still she does not wear gloves. I am wondering, is this practice safe? My mother cried during the procedure, but the dentist told it will not pain. My mother cried because of fear. I am looking forward to hear from you. Thank you.

#

Getting a tooth removed is a terrifying experience for all. It is the dentist's responsibility to address the patient's concerns and make them feel comfortable. Ideally, the procedure should be explained to the patient beforehand. Infection control is very important for the safety of both the dentist and the patient. A dentist must wear gloves and face mask before any treatment.

As far as using a hammer and a chisel, these are the instruments usually present in dental clinic. They are a part of the dental instruments used for teeth extractions, especially in difficult cases. Although, a local anesthetic injection is given prior to removing a tooth, anxious patients may need more than one injection.

Also, while the local anesthetic is good for numbing the area, patients can still feel the pressure sensation during tooth removal. In the end, it all comes down to proper communication with your patient and constant reassurance during the procedure.

|