Q. I drank cold drinks before going to my dentist. Could it prevent my tooth from getting numb?

Dr. Honey Nandwani
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2021

I broke a tooth, so I went to the dentist, and I was very upfront about not having a root canal treatment. I preferred to get it extracted rather. She numbed my tooth and said she was going to fix it. After she had finished, she said I was going to need a root canal treatment. Now my tooth hurts, I went back there after four days to get it extracted. But, even after eight injections, the tooth did not get numb. So, I was sent home, and I was given Amoxicillin. I went back after a week, and the same thing happened again. I do not know how much more I can handle. Would drinking a few cold drinks prevent my tooth from getting numb?

#

• Failure of local anesthesia can be due to causes like poor quality of the anesthetic solution, a poor technique of administration, localized infection in the tooth, abscess formation, certain mutations, etc.
  • Drinking few cold drinks has no effect on anesthesia.
  • So, my suggestion to you is to consult an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and get evaluated. They can use appropriate techniques of anesthesia, and also certain alternate methods can be incorporated.
  • Oral surgeons are expert in this regard and will help you in getting a painless extraction. But till then, continue taking antibiotics to control infection, which is the primary cause of anesthesia failure.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|