Local Anesthesia

Why is my cheek sore after a filling?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a tooth filling approximately 10 hours ago and felt excruciating pain when the local anesthesia was injected. I experienced pain from my cheek all the way up to my temple. The dentist was very rushed and just told me that the pain and numbing sensation could last for up to 2 hours...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you regained sensation, which means the nerve was anesthetized properly and has reverted too. The numbness, pain, and swelling in your cheek might be due to accidental injection into the cheek muscles. I want you to check yourself if you can ope...  Read Full »

How long does numbness last after tooth extraction?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I had a wisdom tooth extraction. Still, I feel tongue numbness. What is the solution?  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The tongue numbness is caused by nerve injury or irritation at the time of giving local anesthesia before your tooth removal or even due to the closeness of the roots of your tooth to the nerve bundle. However, this is usually transient and there is a gradual recovery of ...  Read Full »

How do Adderall and anesthesia interact?

Query: Hi doctor,My female friend, who is 28 years old, is on Adderall for ADD and scheduled for hip surgery. Should she stop Adderall before surgery? Is there adverse interaction with anesthesia and Adderall. She had a long-term (eight months) adverse reaction to general anesthesia after surgery on the ot...  Read Full »

Dr. Amandeep Singh Sachdeva

Anesthesiologist, Pain Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your friend need not stop Adderall (combination of Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine) to get anesthesia. Secondly, the only side effect that may happen is resistant hypotension due to catecholamines depletion. That can be taken care of by the anesthetist. Postoperative ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain after pulpectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had pulpectomy on a lower left tooth two days ago. I am still in pain and the outside of my chin and lower lip is still numb. The dentist told me I would not be in any pain after the procedure, but it is still hurting. I had Ibuprofen 200 mg four times a day. Is this normal to have numb...  Read Full »

Dr. Shwetha Hegde

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I see this, there are two issues here. Firstly, the pain in your lower left tooth could be due to a couple of reasons. Whenever there is infection of the pulp, the infection spreads beyond the tip of the tooth; it extrudes the tooth out of its socket within the jaw...  Read Full »

My heart is beating faster after endoscopy using local anesthetic spray. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, It was over two weeks ago I had my endoscopy. It was not sedated but they gave me the local anesthetic spray but after I had my endoscopy I feel like my heart is beating faster than normal and I feel like my nerves or you can say muscle are like twitching or throbbing and I went to so...  Read Full »

Dr. Balaramareddy

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Local anesthesia toxicity can happen if the spray is used at high concentrations. Usually, they will have 10 percent Lignocaine spray. They can spray maximum 300 mg of drug but for your procedure, definetly they will use less, do not worry. The other symptoms you had a...  Read Full »

My dentist did not wear gloves during extraction. Is this practice safe?

Query: Hi doctor, I took my mother to a dentist. She hit the tooth hard with a hammer and chisel to remove the second molar of upper jaw. She has experience as a dentist for 30 years; still she does not wear gloves. I am wondering, is this practice safe? My mother cried during the procedure, but the dentis...  Read Full »

Dr. Shwetha Hegde

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Getting a tooth removed is a terrifying experience for all. It is the dentist's responsibility to address the patient's concerns and make them feel comfortable. Ideally, the procedure should be explained to the patient beforehand. Infection control is very important ...  Read Full »

Will local anesthesia under sedation decrease pain while suturing?

Query: Hi doctor,My surgeon is recommending local anesthesia with sedation for an umbilical hernia. It is a small hernia as per the surgeon, and a small incision and perhaps 1 or 2 stitches on the abdomen will be needed to repair it and perhaps a small mesh on top if needed. I have had a terrible experienc...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are doing fine. Coming to your query, the efficacy of local anesthesia depends on various factors like the expertise of anesthetist, drugs used, adjuvants, the amount of drug used, etc. For a small and uncomplicated hernia, local anesthesia with sedation i...  Read Full »

How can I be relaxed during getting anesthesia for wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, Today I got my wisdom teeth pulled and they said they were gonna give me a shot in my mouth. There is no way I will be relaxed. Is there any option they would do for me to be more comfortable?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, this is the only way to get local anesthesia. You can also go for general anesthesia but it will be too costly and needs hospitalization. It is a simple procedure, and you will only feel a prick like an insect bite. Do not worry, it is simple and there will be no pai...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get circumcision done under general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,My urologists have recommended circumcision to improve my symptoms and to be able to look inside the urethra, etc., and wants to perform the procedure under general anesthesia. Can this also be done under local or epidural instead, as I am having anxiety about the general method? Am I o...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding the type of anesthesia for circumcision and cystoscopy, it can be done under local anesthesia or spinal or epidural anesthesia or general anesthesia. Local has the following benefits of no risk related to anesthesia. The drawback is some discomfort but usually...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have severe pain even after anesthesia during tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I went to the dentist this morning for an extraction on a bottom molar on my left side. After being completely numbed he started the extraction and I had excruciating pain. He numbed me more but no matter how much he numbed, it hurt so bad. He eventually said he would refer me to a de...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is the best question I have got in my practice and the most frequent query is how and why. This is due to two reasons. Infected tooth with much inflammation or patient's anxious nature. So to tackle such cases it is better to prescribe antibiotics for five days then...  Read Full »