Q. What could be the reason for elevated CRP levels even after taking a Teicoplanin injection for ten days?

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

I recently underwent angiography. After that, I got an infection, and my CRP levels were high even after taking the Teicoplanin injection for ten days.

Kindly help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Adverse events following angiography, like hypersensitivity reactions to the radiocontrast and nosocomial infections, are often common. Nosocomial (hospital-acquired) infections are more common in immunocompromised people.

Teicoplanin is an antibiotic indicated in adults and children for the parenteral treatment of the following infections -

1. Complicated skin and soft tissue infections.

2. Bone and joint infections.

3. Hospital-acquired pneumonia.

4. Community-acquired pneumonia.

5. Complicated urinary tract infections.

6. Infective endocarditis.

7. Peritonitis associated with continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD).

Elevated C-reactive protein (CRP) levels indicate continued and unresolved infection. Teicoplanin (antibiotic) dose and duration of treatment should be adjusted according to the underlying type and severity of infection, the patient's clinical response, and patient factors such as age and renal function. The duration of treatment should be decided based on the clinical response. CRP should show a decline from the baseline value to suggest any effect of Teicoplanin. A minimum of 21 days of treatment is usually considered appropriate for infective endocarditis, and the treatment should not exceed four months.

I request you to share your clinical records to advise appropriately.

I hope I was helpful.

|