Q. Can accidentally putting mascara wand in a child's mouth cause any harm?

Dr. Amit Modi
Published on Nov 27, 2018

My 2-year-old put my mascara wand in his mouth. His teeth and all around his mouth were black. I used a toothbrush and water to get all the black out. What else should I do? I am not sure how much he swallowed. Can it harm him?

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Mascara contains iron oxide, carbon black along with a base of paraffin or mineral oil. As your child had taken it in his mouth and you already have cleaned it. Now there is nothing to worry, you may ask him to gargle with Chlorhexidine mouthwash which will improve the oral hygeine. If a very small amount was swallowed, there is nothing to worry, it may not cause any harm.

What are the best steps to aid healing of ear perforation?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?  Read Full »

Disorders of the Cornea - a Brief Overview

Article Overview: The cornea is the dark transparent circular part of the front of our eyes. It is the only structure of our body that is transparent and is the main determinant of the crystal clear vision that we have come to expect from our eyes. Just like how the cornea is like a clear lens, enabling us to see the world around us, the cornea is also a boon to doctors who can visualize the internal structures of the eye and blood vessels by directly viewing through the cornea without even having to touch the patient. This article looks at the most common of such disorders and how as a common man, you can prevent such diseases. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

The cornea is the dark transparent circular part of the front of our eyes. It is the only structure of our body that is transparent and is the main determinant of the crystal clear vision that we have come to expect from our eyes. Just like how the cornea is like a clear lens, enabling us to see the...  Read Article

Am I under the right treatment for cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having cough for two to three weeks now. It is mostly dry and frequent throughout the day. I am getting two to three coughs at one time and then it continues. Currently, I am taking Piriton-CS, Pantocid and Montek-LC. I had bronchitis problem a few years back wherein I used to get ...  Read Full »