Q. Can accidentally putting mascara wand in a child's mouth cause any harm?

Dr. Amit Kumar Modi

My 2-year-old put my mascara wand in his mouth. His teeth and all around his mouth were black. I used a toothbrush and water to get all the black out. What else should I do? I am not sure how much he swallowed. Can it harm him?

#

Mascara contains iron oxide, carbon black along with a base of paraffin or mineral oil. As your child had taken it in his mouth and you already have cleaned it. Now there is nothing to worry, you may ask him to gargle with Chlorhexidine mouthwash which will improve the oral hygeine. If a very small amount was swallowed, there is nothing to worry, it may not cause any harm.

|