Q. How to get rid of bad breath? I floss, brush every morning and night, but still suffer from bad breath.

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Published on Jul 17, 2018

Dear Doctor,

I am 16 years old. I floss, brush every morning and night and use a tongue cleaner too. But still suffer from bad breath the whole day.

Please help me.

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

Do not worry. After following these tips you will feel better and get rid of bad breath by 2 weeks.

Start using chlorhexidine mouthwash thrice a day for 4 weeks.

Do saline water mouth rinses (take lukewarm water in a small cup and add 1/4th teaspoon salt in it), thrice a day for 2 weeks.

Avoid soda drinks and food that may cause acidity, watch your diet carefully. If you are already having complaints of acidity or heart burning or stomach ulcer problem, then visit gastroenterologist because stomach problems can be one of the major causes of bad breath.

Check in mirror if you have yellow plaque or calculus deposits around the teeth and gum margins then, first visit your dentist and get scaling done and then use mouthwash and do saline rinses. The results will be quickly evident.

Check if you are a mouth breather and try to control the habit.

Read dentist advice to get rid of bad breath.

Follow up after 2 weeks. Stay Happy.

Why are my teeth yellow even though I brush them?

Query: Hello doctor, My teeth always get yellow in color, after brushing for two times a day. Also, my mouth stinks.  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There could be following reasons for yellowing of teeth. There could be yellow or brown layers of tartar at gumline that needs to be taken out so that your actual enamel can be seen. For it, you need to get your scaling done from the dentist and then do brushing twice a ...  Read Full

Indiscriminate Use of Mouthwash Alone is not the Solution for Halitosis

Article Overview: Most of the time people never care about the underlying cause of bad breath, they just use mouthwash and think "all is well". This article stresses on the fact that mouthwash alone is not a solution for bad breath. Read Article

Whenever we experience bad smell or breath emanating from our mouth, the next thing we do is go and buy a mouthwash to get rid of it. This goes on for 1 or 2 months, and then we give up to the fate or finally decide for some expert opinion. We need to give bad breath more importance in our daily li...  Read Article

Can halitosis be caused due to gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask about halitosis. I already went to the dentist and the dentist said that the problem is not in the mouth and it could be in my stomach so here I am. I hope you can help me because I am at my wit's end right now. How do I know if it is in the stomach? What should I do? I ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Halitosis or bad breath usually originates from oral or nasal passages. The cause of it is bacterial decay of residual food and debris. Most common causes of halitosis are periodontal diseases, dental caries, oral cavity infection, and coated or uncleaned tongue or decr...  Read Full

Ask an Oral Implantologist Now