Intervertebral Disc Compression

Can you please interpret my mother's MRI findings?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been suffering from acute back pain and leg pain for the past one year. She is unable to stand or walk for a long time. She is 73 years old. Also, she has type 2 diabetes and high BP. Her MRI revealed a diffuse bulge of L4-L5 disc with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy causing ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following is a radiological report (MRI) of her intervertebral disc status. The above statement means that the disc has herniated from its normal confined limits and is pressing on the nerves leading to pain in the area of distribution of nerves, which in this case...  Read Full »

What can be done for my mom's back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 62 year old mother has been experiencing lower back pain for the last two to three days. She did some heavy work in the kitchen a few days ago and developed these symptoms. She has been taking one or two Crocin a day and using a hot bath, but that does not help much. Please suggest a s...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com We are here to help you. Your mother seems to be suffering from either muscular back pain or prolapsed intervertebral disc compression. I would advise you to get an MRI lumbo-sacral spine to rule out these issues. If you have any such issues, then you would be treated acco...  Read Full »

What is the best remedy for back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been battling with back pain since a year. I associated this pain with a kidney stone which I had for a couple of years. I had a ureteroscopy, crushing and removal of the stone a month ago, but however the back pain still persists. An x-ray done today is attached. I had some back...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the investigation reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your blood investigation appears to be fine apart from high CRP (C-reactive protein), which could either be a manifestation of any inflammation or infection somewhere in the...  Read Full »

How to stop demyelination?

Query: Hi doctor, This query is regarding my dad. He has been limping for a year now. He is a construction worker and about two years ago he accidentally fell down from the first floor. He reassures me that his left leg limping is not due to the fall. He had about 20 sessions of physical therapy. He went t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that he has intervertebral disc compression that needs further evaluation. Since there are suspected demyelinating changes in MRI, he would require further MRI brain to check for any demyelination in his brain. His compression as per report is no...  Read Full »

Why is the left side of my foot numb?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. Four days ago, I started feeling numb on the side of my left foot. The feel continues and the entire portion of the left foot is numb now. Please guide me.  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that it can be very troublesome and scary to have complete numbness in a specific area of the body. From what you have mentioned, it sounds like you do not remember any incident that brought this on. I assume this is something you noticed one day after wak...  Read Full »

Does the MRI show the cause of my lower back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have lower back pain and right buttock pain. I have consulted a doctor for this, but I am not satisfied with the explanations. I have undergone MRI as per advice and here is the result. Posterior disc bulge with annular tear, moderate to severe stenosis of both neural foramina and mil...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you have pain in lower back region with radiation of pain to right buttock region. Along with this, you have also mentioned about your MRI reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity) which show degenerative disc disease at multip...  Read Full »

Is my back pain, a nerve problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain in my right side lower back only if I bend or try to wear my trouser. Also, it is there if I am standing and trying to raise my leg. Even while walking I feel little pain. If I lie in bed or stand straight, then there is no pain. What is the reason and what medicine ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are three possibilities for your pain. It could be one out of these three conditions or a combination of them. Intervertebral disc prolapse. Lumbar canal stenosis. Para vertebral muscle spasm or lower back strain or lumbago (low back pain). If the pain in the low...  Read Full »

Can balancing issue occur due to vestibular lesion or cervical myelopathy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. My weight is 96 kg and height is 184 cm. I have severe sleep apnea and minor CAD with hypertension. I am facing problems of imbalance and lightheadedness. This started some six months back. Then, I was diagnosed with an uncompensated vestibular lesion. After a wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the information you gave me, it looks like your imbalance is due to a condition called cervical myelopathy. The examination findings of your spine specialist also correlate with your diagnosis. This happens when there is undue pressure or compression of the spinal...  Read Full »

Do I need surgery for compressed nerve and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I suffered a back injury at work before nine months while lifting an order of 20 batteries weighing 20 kg each. When I lifted the last battery of the order, I felt a sharp pain in my lower back, and my left leg that made me collapse and I was rushed to the hospital. I have seen a number...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgeon, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would suggest you undergo endoscopic or microsurgical discectomy surgery for your back pain as soon as possible without further delay. You can also consider disc replacement as an option. Regarding your symptoms, I would like to tell you that we human beings ha...  Read Full »

How can I rule out ALS?

Query: Hi doctor, About five weeks ago, I started feeling some weakness in my left leg. I have consulted my family doctor and a neurologist. All physical tests showed no actual weakness. There were no other clinical signs and the reflexes were also normal. There is no activity or movement that I cannot do....  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The various symptoms you have described are due to L5-S1 moderate broad left paracentral disc protrusion mildly distorted the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and abutting without displacing the traversing nerve roots. When a disc prolapses and compresses the spinal c...  Read Full »