Q. What causes pulling sensation on the lower left side of my back with pain?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am a 17-year-old female. Before two weeks, I started to have a pulling sensation on the lower left side of my back. I started to have a hard time while standing and getting up from sitting or during lying down. After a week, I fell down on the stairs and rolled down. I started to have pain in my ankles and the pain in my back went away. After that, I also started to have a pulling sensation with pain in my left hip. I had a hard time while standing and it took a minute to do stretching. When I bend my upper body for more than 90 degrees, I have numbness in my left leg and it got extended to my ankles. It happens at any time while getting out of my bed or when I move suddenly. There is a constant pulling sensation in the calf of my left leg. I want to know whether it is something wrong. Can I treat this condition at home or do I need to go to the doctor immediately? This does not seem to be a normal thing to me.

#

The backache with a pulling sensation and radiating pain can occur due to a mild prolapse of the intervertebral disc. It can also occur due to pain associated with the nerves. The recurrence around the hip region also occurs due to the same cause. The stiffness in the back and having normal mobility after a few minutes indicates an inflammatory pathology. The back pain and the radiating pain to the legs occur due to a slight ligament on the discs impinging the nerves due to injury or posture. The second cause can be due to inflammatory disorder of the back. You should avoid bending forward from the back, and picking things from the floor. Use a firm mattress and take a pain killer for two to three days with gradual mobilization. A trained physiotherapist can help you. If there is no improvement within 15 to 20 days, then you need to consult a doctor immediately.

|