Q. I have a constant pain in the lower back and kidney area. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am 19 years old. I am very athletic. I am a person with diabetes and was diagnosed at the age of 6.5 years old. I am 5'9" and 165 pounds. My primary concern is that lately as in the last month, or so there has been a constant pain in my lower back and the kidney area. The pain is not sharp, but more like a feeling of dull pain and just heaviness. I went to ER a few days ago, and they did a urine test, blood test and CAT scan and everything came out fine. The doctor was very vague with me and disappeared quickly. He said that I have back pain, but recently I have not been doing anything to cause back pain. Also, the pain is deeper than the layer of muscles like I feel it inside. When I touch it, it does not hurt. Is this something to worry about? Should I do further tests?



Welcome to

  • Most of the times the dull pain is benign and not a matter of worry. You also had a test to rule out any serious issues. I guess you do not have a fever, burning urination, etc.
  • The next possibility is of spondylosis of lumbar spine or a disc problem. It is a spine problem where you get pain and other symptoms due to compression of nerves between spine.
  • Do you have any history of trauma to your back? Is it associated with tingling, numbness, needles and pins sensation? If yes, then it further supports the diagnosis.
  • You will need vitamin D level and get your CT reviewed for spine details, and further may require MRI if it is not informative.
  • The treatment for this is physiotherapy to release the nerve compression, medicine and if none helps then surgery.
  • Till that time, I suggest you tablet Neurobion forte once a day, which is a nerve vitamin and Diclofenac gel for local application.
  • Also, you can get nerve stabilizer prescribed like tablet Pregabalin 75 mg which will stabilize the nerve and reduce pain. etc. You can visit an orthopedician for all these investigations.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. Kindly suggest new medications.

Hello, Welcome back to icliniq ... Once your pain is controlled, you can try to reduce the dose to alternate days or even lesser depending on your pain ...   Read full

Understanding Low Back Pain

.. commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation .. ...   Read full

CT scan shows bilateral cerebral atrophy with delusion in an older person. What should be done?

.. symptoms you have described, of paranoid ideation, suspiciousness, restlessness, decreased sleep are all indicative of a psychotic type of illness, most probably schizophrenia. It will require treatment from a psychiatrist with antipsychotic medic...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.