Q. I have a constant pain in the lower back and kidney area. Why?

I am 19 years old. I am very athletic. I am a person with diabetes and was diagnosed at the age of 6.5 years old. I am 5'9" and 165 pounds. My primary concern is that lately as in the last month, or so there has been a constant pain in my lower back and the kidney area. The pain is not sharp, but more like a feeling of dull pain and just heaviness. I went to ER a few days ago, and they did a urine test, blood test and CAT scan and everything came out fine. The doctor was very vague with me and disappeared quickly. He said that I have back pain, but recently I have not been doing anything to cause back pain. Also, the pain is deeper than the layer of muscles like I feel it inside. When I touch it, it does not hurt. Is this something to worry about? Should I do further tests?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Most of the times the dull pain is benign and not a matter of worry. You also had a test to rule out any serious issues. I guess you do not have a fever, burning urination, etc.
  • The next possibility is of spondylosis of lumbar spine or a disc problem. It is a spine problem where you get pain and other symptoms due to compression of nerves between spine.
  • Do you have any history of trauma to your back? Is it associated with tingling, numbness, needles and pins sensation? If yes, then it further supports the diagnosis.
  • You will need vitamin D level and get your CT reviewed for spine details, and further may require MRI if it is not informative.
  • The treatment for this is physiotherapy to release the nerve compression, medicine and if none helps then surgery.
  • Till that time, I suggest you tablet Neurobion forte once a day, which is a nerve vitamin and Diclofenac gel for local application.
  • Also, you can get nerve stabilizer prescribed like tablet Pregabalin 75 mg which will stabilize the nerve and reduce pain. etc. You can visit an orthopedician for all these investigations.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Related Video

Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?

Query: Hello doctor, My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-like) leg pain. There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg. The pain is an extreme burning sensation kind of pain. It sometimes moves to the hips. The pain increases when she sits or tries to walk. She is taking a pain ki...  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

Is CT scan safe during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female, and I was hospitalized for a week due to UTI. As a part of it, a CT scan was taken, which showed that I am completely cured. Then the next day, a blood test showed two weeks pregnancy. I am worried that the CT scan would have an adverse effect on the baby. C...  Read Full »