Q. Is taking Prozac for six years the reason for the darkening of my iris?

Dr. Akshay U. Nayak
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 25, 2021

I have been taking Prozac for about six years. And I have noticed that my eye color looks much darker, I tried to research this online, but nothing came up apart from how Prozac can increase melanin melanocytes in the skin. Could this all so mean it affects the pigments in the iris, causing a color change? Kindly give your opinion.

#

I hope you are otherwise hale and hearty. I have understood your query, and I would like to tell you that there is nothing really to be anxious about.

Prozac or, generically, Fluoxetine can, in the long run, cause pigmentation of the skin. There have, however, been no or very few reports of it affecting the color of our eyes. What you may be experiencing could be just merely psychological, and in a rare instance, it could indeed be becoming darker.

However, I would not worry about it as darker iris do not pose any medical risk, and I am pretty sure that the reason you are taking your Prozac (Fluoxetine) is far more important than the possible, rare, but very innocuous side effect.

Although I must inform you that antipsychotics can at times cause blurring of vision or even glaucoma. Again these are rare but can turn serious.

I would just recommend six months once or yearly checkup with your local eye doctor, and you should be good to go.

Do not worry. I hope this was helpful.

I suffer from body dysmorphic disorder, so I obsess about my appearance. As you said, it can cause skin pigmentation. Could that still affect the same pigments in the iris? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Do not worry or be so anxious. I think even a dark iris is still beautiful, should it be actually getting darker.

As I said, there is only a rare chance that your Prozac could be affecting your iris as there not much literature on this. So I cannot conclude and say that it is due to your medication, although I will not rule it out completely.

And unfortunately, there are many antipsychotic agents which can increase melanin production. If you are really worried about this, I suggest you consult the doctor who started you on this and put you on alternative medicine. But as far as the eye is concerned, I feel you are perfect.

I hope this was helpful.

|