Iris Color

Can trauma change the color of the iris?

Query: Hi doctor, I have read articles regarding blunt trauma to the eyeball, it state that trauma changes the color of the iris. My query is, why does the color change happen? Does the whole of the iris change color from blue to brown? Is there anything to do with pigmentation? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, trauma can change the color of the iris. This is because of iris atrophy. The iris involved in trauma turns white or grey due to a lack of blood supply to the affected area. This change does not include the whole iris. I hope this clears your doubt. Regards.  Read Full »

Does prolonged use of Prozac cause darkening of the iris?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been taking Prozac for about six years. And I have noticed that my eye color looks much darker, I tried to research this online, but nothing came up apart from how Prozac can increase melanin melanocytes in the skin. Could this all so mean it affects the pigments in the iris, causin...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay U. Nayak

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are otherwise hale and hearty. I have understood your query, and I would like to tell you that there is nothing really to be anxious about. Prozac or, generically, Fluoxetine can, in the long run, cause pigmentation of the skin. There have, however,...  Read Full »

What could cause a dark spot on the iris of the eye?

Query: Hello doctor, I have realized that a dark spot appeared on the iris of my eye. I wanted to get a first opinion on an HD photo. Would that be possible? My partner informed me that she saw something similar in my eye in the past.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have a dark spot in the iris of your eye. According to the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that is provided here, you may suffer from dark spots on the iris d...  Read Full »

A newborn has rainbowish type of iris. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 1 month old and has a certain type of rainbowish type of layers in eyes or let us say some part looks darker and some looks lighter in the iris. It looks as if scratches or as if the little part of dark color with the rainbowish look. What might it be?  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The medical terminology for having different colors at different parts of the iris is heterochromia iridis. Although some people naturally have this since birth, it could be a possible early sign of a few eye related disorders. I would also consider you lucky, thanks...  Read Full »