Q. My hemoglobin is 4 and iron is 7 with 1% saturation. Do I need blood transfusion?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 19, 2020

My platelet count was 974, hemoglobin was 4, sedimentation rate was >140, and iron was 7 with a saturation of 1%. I went to the doctor because I lost vision in one eye for about an hour. They have done and MRI, and EKG both normal. Two units of blood and iron transfusions started in the morning once a week for three weeks. No idea about what is going on. Please help.

#

Welcome to the icliniq.com. Your transferrin saturation and Hb seems very low. If you provide full CBC (complete blood count) report then it can be clear whether it is iron deficiency anemia or hemolytic anemia.

Platelet count here can be high as a result of reactive thrombocytosis. It is because of IL 6 release and activation of thrombopoietin in certain conditions like post hemorrhage, inflammatory disorder, infections, in iron deficiency anemia, etc.

Your anemia should be treated with blood transfusion as this hemoglobin level is very low. After anemia correction, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CBC report need to be repeated again.

ESR is very high in your condition. It suggests some form of infection or inflammation like condition.

Here temporal arteritis like condition if needed can be ruled out by biopsy (if clinical examination favors). For visual loss problems after anemia correction ophthalmologist reference can be done here to do direct ophthalmoscopy examination and neurological examination if optic nerve affection present.

|