Q. What does fluctuating and increased heartbeat indicate?

Dr. Prashant Valecha

I have fluctuating heartbeats, and sometimes it gets faster and more random. I have got my ECG and 2D echocardiogram done. I do not have a previous history of this issue, and I am currently on medications for arthritis. Please help.

#

I went through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Your current ECG (electrocardiogram) is quite normal, with no rate, rhythm, or abnormality seen. However, your 2D echocardiography shows some changes, possibly due to hypertension. Therefore, I advise you to monitor your BP (blood pressure) and take medicines accordingly after consultation.

If you get episodes of fast heart rate again, I advise you to do a Holter monitoring (a 24-hour ECG monitor device that may pick up these episodes while the device is connected). It will help doctors to diagnose the type of arrhythmia.

|