Irregular Heartbeat

Why is there irregular heartbeat with chest and shoulder pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female, no current medications, no known conditions, family history of many different heart problems on both maternal and paternal sides, seen by a cardiologist for bigeminy and irregular heartbeat over the summer, palpations still happen pretty often, chest and sh...  Read Full »

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar Md, Facc

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you have is called premature ventricular contractions (AKA PVCs), which are extra beats coming from the bottom chamber of the heart and in some occasions they present in every other beat (what is called ventricular bigeminy) (attachment removed to protect patient ide...  Read Full »

Can a cardiologist find out where catheter ablation was done without seeing the report?

Query: Hi doctor, Approximately 15 years ago I underwent a catheter ablation procedure to fix an irregular heartbeat. It was cured. My question is that can a cardiologist, who did not do the ablation, see exactly what was done without seeing a report of the procedure? I am currently taking Symbicort 200.  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that a cardiac MRI can reveal the site of fibrosis, which correlates with the ablated region, in the myocardial tissues. This way a cardiologist who examines the cardiac MRI even years after the procedure can localize exact...  Read Full »

Immediately after doing Valsalva maneuver, why do I have trigeminal pulse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a male, who is 5.6 feet tall and weigh 172 lbs. I have head and chest pains for over five years. Currently, I take Metoprolol, Amlodipine, Losartan, and Prednisone. My pulse and heart rates are normally regular, but immediately after doing Valsalva maneuver, it becomes trigeminal p...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your case and understand that you are worried about your heart beats and pulse after doing Valsalva maneuver. The trigeminal pulse is defined as the one with a pause after every third heart beat. It is usually due to the underlying process called...  Read Full »

I have chest pains and a swollen lymph node under my jaw. What can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have irregular heartbeats, chest pain, and pain under the ribs on both the sides. It is not exactly like pain, but more of a discomfort. Sometimes, I get a short stabbing pain either on the left or the right side under my ribs, and it also feels something is moving or gets squeezed ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable causes are: Strep throat. Pharyngeal gonorrhea. Tuberculous lymphadenitis, etc. To come to a definite diagnosis, please consult a nearby physician. For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doct...  Read Full »

Do fluctuations in heartbeat denote heart disease?

Query: Hi doctor, My heartbeat keeps fluctuating. Sometimes, it will be 85 bpm and the other time 60, 57 or 58 bpm. Does it indicate any heart disease?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, fluctuations in a heartbeat do not denote any heart disease. In fact, it indicates that your heart is normal. Heartbeat should increase during awake, with activities and exercise. And, it should decrease with rest and sleep. However, you measures the pulse during re...  Read Full »

I get palpitations and irregular heartbeat. Is it due to hyperthyroidism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having difficulties breathing. It feels like mucus is blocking my airways. I also have this feeling that something is stuck in my throat. I did a thyroid blood test, TSH, and T3 which were normal but T4 was high. I did thyroid scan, it showed a soft cyst of 10 mm × 8 mm...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are likely to be having thyroid cyst with hyperthyroidism and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). As far as thyroid problems are concerned, they are managed by medical treatment followed by surgery. Your other problem of thick mucous and hyperacidity can be ma...  Read Full »

Why is the resting heart rate low in spite of pacemaker?

Query: Hello doctor, My 78 year old father has had a pacemaker for five years. The pacemaker is working. But his heart is becoming weaker and more dependent on the pacemaker. He now has a low resting heart rate. What causes this? What is the treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, if the pacemaker is working, then the heartbeat will be the set rate of the pacemaker machine. If the heart rate is below the set rate then the pacemaker is not working properly. Kindly get his pacemaker checked with the pacemaker company. Please...  Read Full »

Is Electrophysiological study necessary for heartbeat irregularities?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old male, and I have a heart condition from when I was three years old. My heartbeats get very fast all of a sudden. What is the name of my heart problem? The ECG report was not normal. I am taking ayurvedic medicines for this problem. A doctor told me to get a surgery ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your heart condition is a cardiac arrhythmia, which is called PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia), in which heart rate suddenly goes up and also suddenly decreases. The blood pressure falls during these episodes, and one has dizziness, fainting, bla...  Read Full »

I have irregular heartbeats, especially when I exercise. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having irregular heartbeats for quite some time. I get palpitations and a feeling that my heart is missing beats. I get breathless and dizzy when this happens. Sometimes, the trigger is exercise, either walking or climbing stairs, other times it occurs when at rest. I am c...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would recommend performing some tests to investigate for possible cardiac arrhythmia or other metabolic causes that may trigger this situation. A resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound. An ambulatory 24 to 48 hours ECG monitoring to i...  Read Full »

I experience heart palpitations and skipped beat. Do I need medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old. I experience heart palpitations with a skipped beat for three years. When I exercise (run), I experience heart palpitations and I cannot breathe freely and naturally (exercise intolerance). I consulted a cardiologist and he says nothing is wrong with my health. Afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms could be related to anxiety. I agree with your doctor that mitral valve prolapse is not a serious medical disorder. Anyway, it can trigger ectopic heart beats especially during straining physical activity. Anyway, if the problem persists, I would recom...  Read Full »

All the answers published in the forum are given by leading doctors, therapists and health experts.