Irregular Heartbeat

I have fluctuating heart rate inspite of normal EKG. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old male. My bpm is 31 during physical and mental exhaustion but my bpm is high of about 178 during hyperventilation and has pointless frustration. My bpm from rest to stand increases by at least 30 points but averages a 50 point increase. My resting bpm is 40, and upon...  Read Full »

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you have been suffering from seem to point to a number of possibilities. One would initially suspect a cardiac abnormality given the drastic fluctuations in your pulse rate, but that would show up on an ECG or echo tests. Since your ECG and echo tests ar...  Read Full »

Are my irregular heartbeat and palpitation due to sinus tachycardia or stress?

Query: Hello doctor, I have consulted two different cardiologists now and they both have gave me a different opinion and prescription. I have been told I have an irregular heartbeat and a high heart rate. The 24 hours Holter test concluded that I have ventricluar extrasystoles 1000/24 hour, but the day a...  Read Full »

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry, but no need for you to worry. What you are having is palpitations. They often are due to benign causes. I advise you to continue with Concor and also make sure to get six to seven hours sleep at night. Stop smoking, alcohol or coffee if you ...  Read Full »

Are irregular heart rate, increased systolic pressure and back pain symptoms of cardiac issue?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 43 years old. He has an irregular pulse, 40-60 is his daytime heartrate, borderline BP managed through diet for a few days. He complains of lightheaded feeling at wakeup, increased systolic BP 143-153 mmHg, and mild nausea with occasional mild back pain on the right sid...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From symptoms, it does not look like a cardiac issue as a cause of pain, it is likely due to gastritis and reflux. Does he also have upper abdominal pain, bloating, burping, an increase in pain on food, sour water feeling in the throat or chest burning? These are th...  Read Full »

Are hypothyroidism and PVCs related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is about 6 feet, and weight is 170 lbs. I do not drink, but do smoke a pack of cigarette a day. My problem is PVCs. About eight years ago, I went to the ER because it felt like my heart was skipping every other beat. All test came back fine. I followe...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess all your heart tests including echo was normal last time and you do not have any chest pain. First, we need to look at the reason. Most of the time they are benign and not a matter of worry. Smoking, stimulant drugs including caffeine if any, hyperthyroidism an...  Read Full »

Why is there irregular heartbeat with chest and shoulder pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female, no current medications, no known conditions, family history of many different heart problems on both maternal and paternal sides, seen by a cardiologist for bigeminy and irregular heartbeat over the summer, palpations still happen pretty often, chest and sh...  Read Full »

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you have is called premature ventricular contractions (AKA PVCs), which are extra beats coming from the bottom chamber of the heart and in some occasions they present in every other beat (what is called ventricular bigeminy) (attachment removed to protect patient ide...  Read Full »

Can a cardiologist find out where catheter ablation was done without seeing the report?

Query: Hi doctor, Approximately 15 years ago I underwent a catheter ablation procedure to fix an irregular heartbeat. It was cured. My question is that can a cardiologist, who did not do the ablation, see exactly what was done without seeing a report of the procedure? I am currently taking Symbicort 200.  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would explain that a cardiac MRI can reveal the site of fibrosis, which correlates with the ablated region, in the myocardial tissues. This way a cardiologist who examines the cardiac MRI even years after the procedure can localize exact...  Read Full »

Immediately after doing Valsalva maneuver, why do I have trigeminal pulse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a male, who is 5.6 feet tall and weigh 172 lbs. I have head and chest pains for over five years. Currently, I take Metoprolol, Amlodipine, Losartan, and Prednisone. My pulse and heart rates are normally regular, but immediately after doing Valsalva maneuver, it becomes trigeminal p...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your case and understand that you are worried about your heart beats and pulse after doing Valsalva maneuver. The trigeminal pulse is defined as the one with a pause after every third heart beat. It is usually due to the underlying process called...  Read Full »

I have chest pains and a swollen lymph node under my jaw. What can it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have irregular heartbeats, chest pain, and pain under the ribs on both the sides. It is not exactly like pain, but more of a discomfort. Sometimes, I get a short stabbing pain either on the left or the right side under my ribs, and it also feels something is moving or gets squeezed ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable causes are: Strep throat. Pharyngeal gonorrhea. Tuberculous lymphadenitis, etc. To come to a definite diagnosis, please consult a nearby physician. For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doct...  Read Full »

Do fluctuations in heartbeat denote heart disease?

Query: Hi doctor, My heartbeat keeps fluctuating. Sometimes, it will be 85 bpm and the other time 60, 57 or 58 bpm. Does it indicate any heart disease?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, fluctuations in a heartbeat do not denote any heart disease. In fact, it indicates that your heart is normal. Heartbeat should increase during awake, with activities and exercise. And, it should decrease with rest and sleep. However, you measures the pulse during re...  Read Full »

I get palpitations and irregular heartbeat. Is it due to hyperthyroidism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having difficulties breathing. It feels like mucus is blocking my airways. I also have this feeling that something is stuck in my throat. I did a thyroid blood test, TSH, and T3 which were normal but T4 was high. I did thyroid scan, it showed a soft cyst of 10 mm × 8 mm...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are likely to be having thyroid cyst with hyperthyroidism and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). As far as thyroid problems are concerned, they are managed by medical treatment followed by surgery. Your other problem of thick mucous and hyperacidity can be ma...  Read Full »