Fasting

Why is my ketone value marked in red?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently looking at my urinalysis results. There is something that I am trying to understand. My ketone is 40 mg/dL and marked with a red square flag. What does this mean? Should I be worried or concerned about this? When this test was performed they told me that everything was nor...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ketones can be positive under certain conditions. The most important ones are starvation for long hours, hyperglycemia (extremely high blood sugar) and alcoholism (too much consumption). What I understand is that all the values are in normal range and only ketones ...  Read Full »

Can I take medicine for diabetes while on fasting?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45-year-old female. I have hypertension for four years, and I take Co-Diovan 80/12.5. In the past days, I performed blood sugar tests on Accu-check device and got the following results respectively in four days after eight to ten fasting hours: 283, 364, 420, 483. After the lock...  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have diabetes mellitus and your weight is high as well. If you do not have symptoms you can go for fasting. You need to do HBA1c (glycated hemoglobin) which will show your average sugar over two to three months previously. Check your eyes for retinopathy. Kidney funct...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution to take Lithium for bipolar disorder during fasting.

Query: Hello doctor, I am on fasting for the auspicious month (dry fast), but I also have to take Lithium for my bipolar disorder. I have seen that higher Lithium concentration can cause serious damage to the kidney due to dehydration and also to the metabolism. During fasting and with keto diet the body...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. See, Lithium can be harmful if hydration is not well maintained. In such cases, we recommend to increase the amount of fluid. That is to consume a good quantity of fluid in the morning before your fast starts and to drink fluids once you open your fast in the evening, a...  Read Full »

Can fasting cause atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have read several studies on the effect of autophagy on aterial fibrilation. I cannot understand most of the conclusions and need some help with this. I basically follow a regime where I eat every other day and fast at least 24 to 30 hours at a time. As I believe, autophagy is acti...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, there is no good evidence for or against this rigorous fasting. Studies atleast have shown no significant increase in atrial fibrillation with such fasting. Practically, we do not have good evidence for it. Now if we consider theoretically, then yes fasting ...  Read Full »

What causes nausea, burping, and cramps in the upper groin area?

Query: Hello doctor, I had nausea a year and a half ago. At that time, I could not eat and was given IV therapy along with antacid. Immediately felt better and I left the ER. I had a colonoscopy about a year ago and it was fine. Doctor did not do any other test and said I had gastritis from alcohol. He ga...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

Are migrating motor complex and fasting with IBS related?

Query: Hello doctor, Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome? Why fasting may help IBS? Why fasting may not help IBS? What is migrating motor complex, and how is it related to fasting with IBS?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu T G

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fasting is not better for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Fasting in IBS causes hypoglycemia, and further causes giddiness, so it cannot favor IBS. MMC (mucosal mast cell) is associated with IBS with autonomous dysfunction. Factors that reduce the IBS are stress redu...  Read Full »

Is the presence of ketones in urine a sign of kidney damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 5 feet and 5 inches, 112 lbs and eat a normal diet. I recently had a urine test with trace ketones, although negative for glucose. My test showed cloudy clarity and presence of crystals. All the other values on the urine test were normal. I also had normal blood tests. My doctor is...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The body generally uses glucose as its source of energy. When it uses fat as a source of energy, ketones are formed. It is a common finding in diabetes, called as diabetic ketoacidosis. It can also occur during starvation when glucose is not available as an energy sou...  Read Full »

I have just one kidney, can I fast?

Query: Hi doctor, 8 months back, I was detected with kidney tumor and immediately had an operation. In that operation, one kidney was removed. My health has slowly improved and now doctors say that I am fine. I want to know, this year after 8 months, can I keep my roza during the month of ramzan? Is it adv...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would strongly advice you against fasting for ramzan. This is because, dehydration is not good for solitary kidney and you can end up landing in trouble. So, it is better if you avoid fasting hereafter. For further information consult a urologist online -->https:...  Read Full »

Precautions to be taken for water only fast for 14 days.

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to undertake a water only fast for 14 days. Which vitamins and electrolyte should I take and in what dose? Just heard of refeeding syndrome. Any other precautions?  Read Full »

Dr. Pritam Mohapatra

Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not clear why you are undertaking water (only) fast for so long as 14 days. In case, you have decided to, I would advise you to do it under the expert supervision of an ayurveda or naturopathy physician who can monitor you closely. While fasting has obvious healt...  Read Full »

Please advise me about the fasting method of detoxification.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am obese with weight 110 kg and taking BP medicines. I want to detoxify my body. I read somewhere a schedule for detoxification of the body. In this chart some days they want to remain on a liquid diet that is, only on water. Is that a safe way to detoxify? I have t...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Naturopathy has the fasting procedure for detoxification based on body condition. If you wish to fast weekly once, then Thursday is the good day. The whole day, you can drink only fruit juice, water, lemon juice or any herbal juices. All should be only liquid. On...  Read Full »