Fasting

What causes nausea, burping, and cramps in the upper groin area?

Query: Hello doctor, I had nausea a year and a half ago. At that time, I could not eat and was given IV therapy along with antacid. Immediately felt better and I left the ER. I had a colonoscopy about a year ago and it was fine. Doctor did not do any other test and said I had gastritis from alcohol. He ga...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

Are migrating motor complex and fasting with IBS related?

Query: Hello doctor, Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome? Why fasting may help IBS? Why fasting may not help IBS? What is migrating motor complex, and how is it related to fasting with IBS?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu T G

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fasting is not better for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Fasting in IBS causes hypoglycemia, and further causes giddiness, so it cannot favor IBS. MMC (mucosal mast cell) is associated with IBS with autonomous dysfunction. Factors that reduce the IBS are stress redu...  Read Full »

Is the presence of ketones in urine a sign of kidney damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 5 feet and 5 inches, 112 lbs and eat a normal diet. I recently had a urine test with trace ketones, although negative for glucose. My test showed cloudy clarity and presence of crystals. All the other values on the urine test were normal. I also had normal blood tests. My doctor is...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The body generally uses glucose as its source of energy. When it uses fat as a source of energy, ketones are formed. It is a common finding in diabetes, called as diabetic ketoacidosis. It can also occur during starvation when glucose is not available as an energy sou...  Read Full »

I have just one kidney, can I fast?

Query: Hi doctor, 8 months back, I was detected with kidney tumor and immediately had an operation. In that operation, one kidney was removed. My health has slowly improved and now doctors say that I am fine. I want to know, this year after 8 months, can I keep my roza during the month of ramzan? Is it adv...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would strongly advice you against fasting for ramzan. This is because, dehydration is not good for solitary kidney and you can end up landing in trouble. So, it is better if you avoid fasting hereafter. For further information consult a urologist online -->https:...  Read Full »

Precautions to be taken for water only fast for 14 days.

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to undertake a water only fast for 14 days. Which vitamins and electrolyte should I take and in what dose? Just heard of refeeding syndrome. Any other precautions?  Read Full »

Dr. Pritam Mohapatra

Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not clear why you are undertaking water (only) fast for so long as 14 days. In case, you have decided to, I would advise you to do it under the expert supervision of an ayurveda or naturopathy physician who can monitor you closely. While fasting has obvious healt...  Read Full »

Please advise me about the fasting method of detoxification.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am obese with weight 110 kg and taking BP medicines. I want to detoxify my body. I read somewhere a schedule for detoxification of the body. In this chart some days they want to remain on a liquid diet that is, only on water. Is that a safe way to detoxify? I have t...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Naturopathy has the fasting procedure for detoxification based on body condition. If you wish to fast weekly once, then Thursday is the good day. The whole day, you can drink only fruit juice, water, lemon juice or any herbal juices. All should be only liquid. On...  Read Full »

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC count, high hematocrit and high hemoglobin level. But eight-hour fasting cannot lead to such findings. It is advisable to repeat your test after a few days. Until then, keep yourself well hydrated with lots ...  Read Full »

Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep? My 25-year-old daughter is delirious. She does not know who she is, thinks she was in a coma, etc. Hospital ran blood and urine test and a cat scan, all were normal. No new medications. I thought it has to be something physical beca...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Jauhari

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answer to your query is yes. Prolonged fasting and no sleep can cause mental and physical symptoms similar to mania or delirium or coma. It would have been helpful if serum electrolytes, catecholamine levels, and urea levels were recorded or mentioned because BP is ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to fast if I have type 1 diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes type 1. My age is 18 years and I am taking Mixtard insulin twice a day. In the morning, I inject 14 units and in the evening I inject 6 units. I want to fast for religious purposes. Can I?  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The patients with type 1 diabetes are advised not to fast. However, if you are healthy and having a good blood sugar control, then you can reverse the dose of insulin as in, take the night dose in the morning and morning dose at night and fast. Be prepared for break...  Read Full »

Please see the attached reports, and tell me if I can continue my fasting.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in consultation with another ayurveda specialist in icliniq for skin rashes and itching, and I am taking the medicines as per the doctor's recommendation. I also did all the tests which she suggested. But, she is not available now, so I want your opinion on my test reports. The fre...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).  All the investigations that you have performed are almost in the normal range or borderline, so as your physician has prescribed you medications, take them accordingly....  Read Full »