Q. Will jaw surgery for lack of bone lead to a change in the face?

Dr. Gagan Khanna

My daughter had braces for four years but her midline is off and she has a gummy smile. Her bite is fine but her teeth are not properly aligned and she does not have bone on her left side. Her orthodontist referred her to a maxillofacial surgeon who says she needs her upper jaw broken and rotated clockwise and slightly up to compensate for the lack of bone and her bottom jaw also has to be broken and rotated clockwise. It would all then be held by plates and screws. My biggest concern is that she is a beautiful girl and he says that her face will not change at all. Is that true with this kind of procedure?

#

The procedure which you mentioned is called as orthognathic surgery which is done if there is a skeletal malrelation between the two jaws which cannot be corrected by orthodontics alone. The procedure usually improves the aesthetics of the face and is predictable. The expected outcome can be seen by preparing mock up models before undergoing the procedure. In this procedure, the portion of the jaw is fractured to rotate in the desired direction and fixed using using plates and screws.

| 

I am worried about the development of my lower jaw.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the normal development of facial structure of a male going through puberty. I am 17 years old, my height is 5'7" and I weigh 119 pounds. My diet is normal. I am very frail in stature but, that is not what I am worried about. I am worried about the development ...  Read Full »

What can cause clonus in babies?

Query: Hi doctor, I noticed about a week ago that my 6 weeks old baby has ankle clonus. His feet sort of tap or twitch sometimes, especially when he raises them with knees bent like when he is straining to poop or I change his diaper. I am able to reproduce this by pressing on his feet just under his toes...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Now