Orthognathic Surgery

Is dental treatment required for all cleft palate surgeries?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Soft cleft palate means a submucus cleft of the soft palate. That means a midline defect of the muscles, which failed to completely join at the correct positions during development. But, the bony structure is sound. Many times speech problems are associated with the same....  Read Full »

Is there any surgery to correct the facial profile and forwardly placed mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, From my late teens to now (I am thirty), I started becoming very insecure about my face, especially my side profile. It is heavy, thick and my mouth is more forward. I was prettier as a child. I want to inquire about surgeries that can be done to adjust my jaw. Also, I seem to have so...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammad Emranul Islam

Dentist, Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry for your suffering. But the picture you sent me is not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please send close-up pictures of your front face and side face with the mouth in resting position. There is a surgical treatment for this proble...  Read Full »

Can jaw surgery for lack of bone cause any change in the face?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter had braces for four years but her midline is off and she has a gummy smile. Her bite is fine but her teeth are not properly aligned and she does not have bone on her left side. Her orthodontist referred her to a maxillofacial surgeon who says she needs her upper jaw broken an...  Read Full »

Dr. Gagan Khanna

Dentist, Maxillofacial Prosthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The procedure which you mentioned is called as orthognathic surgery which is done if there is a skeletal malrelation between the two jaws which cannot be corrected by orthodontics alone. The procedure usually improves the aesthetics of the face and is predictable. The e...  Read Full »

My front teeth are flaring outside and it is looking ugly. Please suggest treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I hope you are safe and sound. I am 20 and I am wearing braces for the past eight months. I got my two teeth removed and both of them from the bottom. One from front bottom teeth, and one from the back of bottom right canine. My orthodontist now uses rubber bands on my teeth which I h...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the history and picture of the side of teeth (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can tell you that your upper and lower teeth are flared. Also, there is an increased gap (overjet) between your upper and lower teeth. As you said, only your lower t...  Read Full »