Q. My front teeth are flaring outside and it is looking ugly. Please suggest treatment.

Dr. Prerna Jain

I hope you are safe and sound. I am 20 and I am wearing braces for the past eight months. I got my two teeth removed and both of them from the bottom. One from front bottom teeth, and one from the back of bottom right canine. My orthodontist now uses rubber bands on my teeth which I have been wearing for almost two weeks now but I can see my canines have adjusted but my front teeth are flaring outside and it is looking so ugly that I am worried they might never go back in due to lack of space. I hope you can suggest me something here. Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

#

From the history and picture of the side of teeth (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can tell you that your upper and lower teeth are flared. Also, there is an increased gap (overjet) between your upper and lower teeth. As you said, only your lower teeth were removed, that could be the reason for the overjet and hence the elastics (presumably). Use of elastics in a Class II fashion, that is upper front to lower back teeth can further increase the flaring of your lower teeth but will reduce the flaring of upper teeth and reduce overjet. Reducing the overjet is quite important and due to your bone structure (smaller lower jaw), flaring of teeth is bound to happen.

So, I will suggest discussing other options like removing upper teeth as well or if required a surgical alternative to enable and bring the lower teeth to a less flared position.

If however, that is not an acceptable option for you, slightly flared lower teeth would be the result and quite acceptable in our case.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|