Keratoconus

Which contact lens is best for -4 power?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am having -4 with cylindrical (180°axis) power in both eyes. Which type and which company contact lenses are the best for me? Please guide. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq.com. Minus 4 cylindrical power is very high power. For this power, contact lenses are preferred and give better vision compared to glasses. There are many commercially available contact lenses. We commonly use Bausch and Lomb contact lenses to our patients. Prefer...  Read Full »

What causes cylindrical eye power to change rapidly?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25 years old and I use spectacles from the last three years. Before that, my eyes were fine. In the last two years, it is deteriorating fast and the cylindrical eyesight varies much. Initially, it was - 0.5, but after one year it became - 1.5 and now it is 2.5. Why is my cylindric...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An increase in the cylindrical error at this age is uncommon. There are two possibilities: Your cornea is weak and changing its shape which is known as keratoconus. But, keratoconus does not appear in this age. It is basically a disease in children. There is a possib...  Read Full »

Kindly tell me the best treatment for advanced keratoconus after using scleral lenses.

Query: Hello doctor,I would like to know the best treatment for advanced keratoconus after using scleral lenses as well. Will there be a condition, where I do not have to use lenses like ever?  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. There are a number of different treatments for keratoconus based on the corneal topographical measures and your visual needs. The best to halt progression is corneal collagen cross-linking (C3R). This procedure causes the development of a lot...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best treatment option for keratoconus.

Query: Hi doctor, I am diagnosed with keratoconus. My recent report showed K value 49.90, I-S 2.16 D, KISA 244%, and Pachymetry 461.465. My doctor advised me to go for C3R. I would like to know is there any other treatment option for keratoconus?  Read Full »

Dr. Satish Bhavsar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. C3R (Corneal Collagen Cross-linking with Riboflavin) will help to check further deterioration of corneal thickness. May I know what is your vision with spectacles or contact lenses?  Read Full »

What is the best option other than glasses in case of keratoconus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eye disorder (keratoconus). I would like to know whether I can continue wearing soft lens. The hard lens/RGP lens provides a lot of discomfort. Do I have other options apart from glasses?  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keratoconus is a degenerative eye disorder. This causes corneal thinning and leads to a conical shaped cornea. Soft lenses can be used, the silicone lens with hydrogel based ones in particular. Though RGP (rigid gas permeable) lens are preferred for better vision outc...  Read Full »

What care and precautions do I need to take for the cylindrical vision?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 4.5 years old. He is having a cylindrical vision with -2.75 power on both the eyes. What care and precaution do I need to take?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keep regular follow ups with your optometrist and eye doctor for repeated refraction for every 3 to 6 months. His refraction will keep on changing till 20 to 25 years of age as the eye grows and the shape of the cornea keeps changing. The main thing is avoid...  Read Full »

I have keratoconus in my right eye. Shall I go for C3R?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I was diagnosed with keratoconus. I did not use any spectacle. I used to see little blur mostly in the evening. My left eye is normal, but my right eye is most affected. I have attached one file. Please go through the file for the reference of my eye standards. Six months ago, I...  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the records that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First thing is that you need to confirm the diagnosis of keratoconus. From your explanation, I feel you do not have keratoconus. Please describe what problems you have an...  Read Full »

My 2.7 years old daughter has cylindrical eye number. Is it a sign of keratoconus?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my 2.7 years old daughter's eyes checked, and she has a cylindrical number of -1 and -1.25 at 180 axis. Will it increase as she grows? Is the test done on the machine, reliable? I hope this is not a sign of keratoconus.  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This may be a sign of keratoconus, but not for sure. It depends on the progression. If it progresses rapidly and corneal thinning occurs, then only it can be called as keratoconus. At present it is astigmatism. And you should start using glasses. Yes, it will change in...  Read Full »

I cannot read the fourth line on the eye test chart. Is my condition amblyopia ?

Query: Hello doctor,I have done my eye test. During the test, I cannot read the fourth line of letters even with the lenses they provide. All the lenses I have tried. Is it serious? What is the problem? I am very tensed.  Read Full »

Dr. Thilanka Kashyapa Perera

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In order to answer you, I need little more details. Have you been using glasses? Are you unable to read the fourth line with both of your eyes or only from one eye? What is the correction you were given for 6/18 line, I mean the prescription of glasses? How did you no...  Read Full »

Can I go for LASIK with high astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have -2.5 cylindrical in the right and -4 in the left eye and SPH is 4.75 in the right and 5 in the left eye. Can I go for LASIK? Will it be successful as I have high astigmatism?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most important thing is to rule out keratoconus. Many corneal scan machines have special softwares to rule out KC With the information you sent in the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity); I can see one suspicious thing that is Kmax 47.3. We need t...  Read Full »