Keratoconus

Is keratoconus stage 1 in both eyes in a small kid curable?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 years old daughter recently diagnosed with Keratoconus stage 1 in both the eyes with high cylindrical power. Is it curable? Does it lead to vision loss? And please let me know what are the best treatment options available for this disease. I am currently on Olopatadine 0.1% o...  Read Full »

Dr. Arnab Pal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear that she has been diagnosed as Keratoconus stage 1. However, I am surprised as the age is too low. It generally sets in adolescents with onset in early to mid-teens. I guess it is difficult for me to comment without seeing her topography pictur...  Read Full »

What can cause blurry image, itchy eyes, and headache?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having lots of trouble with my eyes lately. Reading glasses are not helping me. Everything has begun to get blurred. I have noticed that I have been rubbing my eyes a lot and I have been getting headaches. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Actually, there are many causes of decreased vision and itching for which you need to rub your eyes. Please answer a few questions. Since how long you are using glasses? When you had your last refraction? Do you have any eye allergy, itching, watering or redness that get...  Read Full »

How long to continue the eye drops after CXL eye surgery?

Query: My daughter Age 12 yr. has gone under CXL Eye surgery a month back. Due to lock down its not possible to consult the doctor, I would request kindly advise, till when we have to continue these eye drops. (from 27 days ) we are continuing (Vigamox-Moxifloacin Ophthalmic solution IP 0.5% W/V 3times a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi. Good afternoon. I hope you doing well. Most probably CXL done for keratoconus. usually post op antibiotics drop (vigamox) are prescribed for 4-6 weeks so you can continue vigamox 2-3 times a day till 6 weeks. Second drop is lubricant/ artificial tear that can be used long term to avoid dry eye...  Read Full »

How to confirm the presence of keratoconus in my wife?

Query: Hello doctor, I wanted to know about my wife's eye condition. Two doctors have said that she has keratoconus and another doctor says no it is not that.  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very difficult to comment without examining you. Kindly send me your topography reports so that I may study them and guide you.  Read Full »

Which contact lens is best for -4 power?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am having -4 with cylindrical (180°axis) power in both eyes. Which type and which company contact lenses are the best for me? Please guide. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq.com. Minus 4 cylindrical power is very high power. For this power, contact lenses are preferred and give better vision compared to glasses. There are many commercially available contact lenses. We commonly use Bausch and Lomb contact lenses to our patients. Prefer...  Read Full »

What causes cylindrical eye power to change rapidly?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25 years old and I use spectacles from the last three years. Before that, my eyes were fine. In the last two years, it is deteriorating fast and the cylindrical eyesight varies much. Initially, it was - 0.5, but after one year it became - 1.5 and now it is 2.5. Why is my cylindric...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An increase in the cylindrical error at this age is uncommon. There are two possibilities: Your cornea is weak and changing its shape which is known as keratoconus. But, keratoconus does not appear in this age. It is basically a disease in children. There is a possib...  Read Full »

Kindly tell me the best treatment for advanced keratoconus after using scleral lenses.

Query: Hello doctor,I would like to know the best treatment for advanced keratoconus after using scleral lenses as well. Will there be a condition, where I do not have to use lenses like ever?  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. There are a number of different treatments for keratoconus based on the corneal topographical measures and your visual needs. The best to halt progression is corneal collagen cross-linking (C3R). This procedure causes the development of a lot...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best treatment option for keratoconus.

Query: Hi doctor, I am diagnosed with keratoconus. My recent report showed K value 49.90, I-S 2.16 D, KISA 244%, and Pachymetry 461.465. My doctor advised me to go for C3R. I would like to know is there any other treatment option for keratoconus?  Read Full »

Dr. Satish Bhavsar

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. C3R (Corneal Collagen Cross-linking with Riboflavin) will help to check further deterioration of corneal thickness. May I know what is your vision with spectacles or contact lenses?  Read Full »

What is the best option other than glasses in case of keratoconus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eye disorder (keratoconus). I would like to know whether I can continue wearing soft lens. The hard lens/RGP lens provides a lot of discomfort. Do I have other options apart from glasses?  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keratoconus is a degenerative eye disorder. This causes corneal thinning and leads to a conical shaped cornea. Soft lenses can be used, the silicone lens with hydrogel based ones in particular. Though RGP (rigid gas permeable) lens are preferred for better vision outc...  Read Full »

What care and precautions do I need to take for the cylindrical vision?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 4.5 years old. He is having a cylindrical vision with -2.75 power on both the eyes. What care and precaution do I need to take?  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Keep regular follow ups with your optometrist and eye doctor for repeated refraction for every 3 to 6 months. His refraction will keep on changing till 20 to 25 years of age as the eye grows and the shape of the cornea keeps changing. The main thing is avoid...  Read Full »