Q. Can I go for LASIK with high astigmatism?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have -2.5 cylindrical in the right and -4 in the left eye and SPH is 4.75 in the right and 5 in the left eye. Can I go for LASIK? Will it be successful as I have high astigmatism?

#

• The most important thing is to rule out keratoconus. Many corneal scan machines have special softwares to rule out KC
  • With the information you sent in the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity); I can see one suspicious thing that is Kmax 47.3. We need to see corneal topographic maps.
  • Otherwise, with corneal thickness 510+ micron you can easily correct -5 sphere and -4 cylindrical. If corneal thickness is a good 5 diopter cylinder can be corrected with LASIK and myopia up to 12 diopters. So, that is not the issue here.
  • Again, I would say that the important thing is to look for keratoconus index. If that is high, then you should not go for laser surgery. If that is low, then you can go ahead.
  • So, you should consult your eye doctor. He will guide you according to your situation and he will do the best.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I wanted to get my LASIK done this week only. The reports which I have shared are not the final report; they will give the final report by tomorrow. I wanted to show my reports to another doctor also and generally doctors run the pre-examination test again. I have already done the pre-examination test two days back. Can I go through the procedure again? Will it affect my eye? Also, after the examination, I have started feeling some pain or I say heaviness in my eyes.

#

• I would say that you should trust your doctor. I hope he is an expert. He will do the best.
  • In report, you have to see about keratoconus. You can also ask your doctor that is any chance of keratoconus in your case.
  • If your glass number is stable and has not changed from the last one year and then the chance of KC is less.
  • I hope he will satisfy you. Without seeing the scans, I cannot comment too much.

|