Q. What care and precautions do I need to take for the cylindrical vision?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My son is 4.5 years old. He is having a cylindrical vision with -2.75 power on both the eyes. What care and precaution do I need to take?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Keep regular follow ups with your optometrist and eye doctor for repeated refraction for every 3 to 6 months.
  • His refraction will keep on changing till 20 to 25 years of age as the eye grows and the shape of the cornea keeps changing.
  • The main thing is avoiding amblyopia (lazy eye). If he keeps seeing blurry images, then his vision would not develop properly. So, for good vision development he must see clearly, which would be possible with best refraction.
  • If refraction changes rapidly, then there could be another thing to look for, such as keratoconus, but that is in adults usually at the age of 20s.
  • For now, just get regular checkup and keep using glasses or contact lens as prescribed by his doctor. Everything will be fine.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full »

My son has ROP in both eyes. What precautions should I take for his eyesight?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 2 years old and has ROP issue in both eyes. The left eye is lasered and has -5 number. And the right eye has -1 number. I am very worried. Kindly suggest what I should do. And what precaution should I take to keep his eyes healthy?  Read Full »

My contact lens has dried out. Can I use it?

Query: Hello Doctor, I did not use my contact lenses for two weeks. When I opened the lens case after 2 weeks, my coloured (monthly) lenses had dried out. One of the them seems to be a little smaller. Can I use it?  Read Full »