Q. What is the best treatment option for keratoconus?

Dr. Satish Bhavsar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 02, 2019

I am diagnosed with keratoconus. My recent report showed K value 49.90, I-S 2.16 D, KISA 244%, and Pachymetry 461.465. My doctor advised me to go for C3R. I would like to know is there any other treatment option for keratoconus?

#

C3R (Corneal Collagen Cross-linking with Riboflavin) will help to check further deterioration of corneal thickness. May I know what is your vision with spectacles or contact lenses?

Thank you for replying. I am sending both my old (taken seven months ago) and the new (done last month) reports of corneal topography. My current vision points are -5.0 in the right eye and -1.25 in the left eye, and I am using glasses. Can you please check my report and guide my following queries. How bad is my keratoconus and is it progressing? What would be the best treatment option for me? C3R or something else?

#

When the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are compared there is not much difference in your readings. The other treatment option for keratoconus is Intacs surgery. I would recommend you to get C3R done.

Thank you. Can you please tell me how soon I can go for C3R? Can I wait for a few months and then go for it? Can I work on computers for long hours? Will it affect the keratoconus? Depending upon the reports, can you suggest me the time frame for C3R or Intacs surgery?

#

There is no change in corneal thickness in the last six months, but we can not predict when the condition can deteriorate. Working on computers depends on your comfort level. Even after the procedure done, your improvement and stability have to be monitored by regular follow-ups only.

|