Q. What could be the white spot in the eye?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I had a watery eye and I feel something is there in my eye since last week. It was really bad during the weekend and I found a white spot in the eye. I went to an ophthalmologist and he just had a look through the machine. He said it could be marginal keratitis and gave me drops and cream. Uncomfortable feeling and watery eye have gone, but, the spot is still there. That spot is in the cornea and I can see a white line in the white (cornea) also. What can it be? And if it is keratitis, when will the spot disappear? I am really worried.

#

Can you name the medicines that your doctor prescribed? Marginal keratitis is not a disease to be taken lightly. The white spot will lighten as the healing begins but will not completely vanish. Send me the pictures of the doctor's file and the medications prescribed.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

There is no doctor file as he just saw me in his clinic and examined. The medicines he gave me are Fusidic acid 1 % eye drops and Maxidex 0.1 % eye drops. So, will the white spot and line will be there always? Will they not vanish completely ever?

#

If the diagnosis is correct, then, Maxidex (Dexamethasone) is not indicated. Because, though it causes faster relief the thing is it delays healing or might cause corneal thinning. Marginal keratitis requires systemic investigation to rule out diseases like arthritis or any other autoimmune diseases like SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus).

See, I am not telling you all this to scare you but to keep you well informed. You should see a cornea specialist ophthalmologist to review your medication. In my opinion, instead of Maxidex, Cyclosporine eye drop should be started and also Carboxymethylcellulose eye drops. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medications with their consent.

Also, there should be a blood test to rule out various autoimmune diseases.

What about the spot? Will it vanish completely with these drops? How long will it take to heal?

#

The spot will lighten to the extent that you or nobody you meet is going to notice it. But, you have to take an expert opinion with a cornea specialist. Start the proper medication. It will take around three months for your therapy to get complete. Be patient and be assured that you will be treated. You have reported on time.

|