Q. Is RCC benign or malignant and what is the treatment?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 29, 2019

My father, aged 70 years, lost five kg of weight in two to three months. Usg and CECT confirms a right renal mid-lower polar well defined large 11.3*10.6*12.0 cm soft tissue density homogeneously enhancing mass with internal regions of non-enhancement is observed with no obvious calcification or fat content.

The lesion appears to be containing renal fascia with increased peripheral vessels likely mitotic mass lesion of the right kidney (RCC). The right renal vein and IVC is patent. The mass is seen to indent the right psoas muscle, but a flat plane with the adjacent structures is nearly maintained. The urine test and renal functions are normal, and there is no evidence of metastasis. Kindly tell me if it is benign or malignant, and what are the possible line of treatment? Please help.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

As per the report, it is renal cell carcinoma (RCC) and it requires further evaluation. In the treatment of RCC, first of all, surgery is needed to remove the tumor and if required the kidney too. Then after confirming the diagnosis on histopathology, chemotherapy, or radiation is required. Please consult an oncosurgeon immediately. I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

Why does lung cancer medicine hamper aneurysm treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend has a brain aneurysm and lung cancer. He is undergoing treatments for both. Now, the medicine for lung cancer is hampering the aneurysm. What to do? Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Brain aneurysm can be a different entity or due to the metastasis of lung cancer to the brain. It is a very difficult condition to treat as both diseases have a very grave prognosis. Usually, the treatment of aneurysm is by clipping or coiling, but certain medicines ar...  Read Full

Ask a Nephrologist Now