Q. Is RCC benign or malignant and what is the treatment?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Kidney Cancer or Metastasis? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My father, aged 70 years, lost five kg of weight in two to three months. Usg and CECT confirms a right renal mid-lower polar well defined large 11.3*10.6*12.0 cm soft tissue density homogeneously enhancing mass with internal regions of non-enhancement is observed with no obvious calcification or fat content.

The lesion appears to be containing renal fascia with increased peripheral vessels likely mitotic mass lesion of the right kidney (RCC). The right renal vein and IVC is patent. The mass is seen to indent the right psoas muscle, but a flat plane with the adjacent structures is nearly maintained. The urine test and renal functions are normal, and there is no evidence of metastasis. Kindly tell me if it is benign or malignant, and what are the possible line of treatment? Please help.