Q. What causes pain in kidney with blood in urine?

Dr. Gajanan Shirpad Bhat

I went to the hospital with side pain near kidney. They discovered blood in my urine. I followed up with urologist for a lot of pelvic pain. I am attaching my urinalysis results from both visits. Both show the blood and the second one says urine squamous epithelial cell mod lpf. I have to wait two weeks for scope but I do not think it could be anything but bladder or kidney cancer. Also, when this first happened, there were two episodes where I got terrible pain in bladder area and vagina and went bathroom and bright red blood came out. It did not appear to be in urine.

#

Your description of symptoms basically points to a possibility of left sided ureteric colic. It is unlikely to be cancer. You have mentioned that you have undergone CT scan. I could not find report of CT scan or films in the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). May I know what are CT findings? If you can provide the report, it will help in making diagnosis. I would like to reassure you again, it is unlikely to be cancer. Please get back to me with CT report.

It was not a kidney stone in the CT scan but based on my blood work and urinalysis, what could it possibly else be? I still have blood in urine.

#

Your symptoms are suggestive of painful hematuria, most common cause of which is stone. If CT does not show stone, it is possible that you might have passed out a stone while urinating, when you had pain in left flank associated with bleeding.

Other chance is simple cystitis, which is inflammation of urinary bladder mucosa, which will heal with medications. It is highly unlikely to be cancer because cancer causes painless bleeding per urethra.

|