Q. Can urine be foamy due to any kidney issues?

My father has suffered from a stroke 12 years back (left hemisensory infarct) and four years back has undergone CABG. He is also a diabetic for the past 27 years. Three days back he developed high fever 103.5 with stomach ache and chills. 650 or Meftal forte SOS for high fever. He is better now but during that time he noticed frothy urine so we got his urine microalbumin test done. The levels are a little high. Six months back they were within range. He has no other problem like swelling, etc. His BP is also under control. Also, his other parameters like creatinine, etc., done two weeks back are fine. Only his HbA1c is 7.8.

My query is that since the tests were just the next day after fever can they be incorrect? Can the urine be foamy due to fever? Will better sugar control help to resolve this problem? When should we repeat this test again? His current medications are Mixtard Insulin 30/70 - 48 units morning, 13 units night, Glycomet GP2 1-0-1, Linagliptin 5 mg 1-0-0, Fibator 10 mg 0-0-1, Metolar XR 25 1-0-0, Dynapress 0.4 0-0-1, Arreno 1-0-1, Ecosprin 75 1-0-0.

#

Yes, an acute infection is known to cause protein in the urine that can cause frothy urine. Moreover, urinary tract infection can also cause this. I would recommend you to get his urine test repeated after two weeks. A strict blood sugar and blood pressure control would control proteinuria.

So, would focus on controlling sugars. He did not have any UTI but viral fever. He is taking Metolar XR for BP given by his cardiologist. Does this also help in microalbuminuria?

#

No, Metolar does not help in controlling albuminuria. Discuss with your doctor to prescribe him Benidipine or Telmisartan or Ramipril that would help in controlling albuminuria.

|