Kidney Health

Kidney size is small with high creatinine level. Can we get normal functioning of kidney?

Query: Hello doctor, My aunt's creatinine level is 5.7 and her kidney size of 8*3.4 cm (right and left). Currently she, is under treatment. Looking forward to know if it can be brought to normal kidney functioning? What time does it take to become normal? Her BP is 150/95 mmHg. She is under medication f...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. To help you better I need further details. Since how long is she suffering from this? How are her blood pressure and blood sugar? How is her urine output? Where is she located? Revert with the asked details for better help.  Read Full »

Please suggest a cough medicine for a kidney transplant patient.

Query: Hi doctor, My father is a kidney transplant patient. He had his transplant a year ago. Right now he is having wet cough and cold. It started yesterday. He is taking Pangraf 1.5 mg, Cellcept 500 mg, Septran and Wysolone daily. Which medicines should we give him for cough and cold?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, most of the cough and common cold are upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) issues, which are self-limiting and respond without antibiotics. But since he is on immunosupressants, he would be considered for antibiotics if he develops any high grade fe...  Read Full »

Are high fever and chills symptoms of kidney stone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old woman and started having severe lower back pain and nausea about a week ago. Went to the ER, had a CT scan, diagnosed with a 6.5 mm kidney stone in my right ureter with mild hydronephrosis. I was given Percocet and sent home with instructions to see a urologist. I was ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. High fever and chill are indicative of infection indeed and as we have a cause rightly evident there are chances that you may be developing hydronephrosis (accumulation of urine in swollen kidney) in the right kidney and a secondary infection following stasis of urin...  Read Full »

I have high serum creatinine. Is my kidney function normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 years old male. Weight 67 kg, height 5'5". My serum creatinine is 1.2 mg/dl and urea is 20 mg/dl. My hemoglobin is 14.5 gm/dl. Vitamin D is 20.2 ng/ml. HbA1c is 6 %. I want to know whether my kidney function is normal on the basis of my blood reports. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. To help you better, I need to know your blood pressure, any ultrasound report, if done. Revert back with the asked details for better help.  Read Full »

Will taking protein powder in high quantities affect kidneys?

Query: Hi doctor, I heard that a high intake of protein powder will affect kidney functions (by forming kidney stones). Is it true?  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Too much of any nutrient is not good for the body. But when you say 'high amount', it is a relative term. What seems 'high amount' to you may not be really high. If you think you are taking too much protein, please do mention what kind of protein you are taking and...  Read Full »

Does foamy urine mean any kidney issue?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has suffered from a stroke 12 years back (left hemisensory infarct) and four years back has undergone CABG. He is also a diabetic for the past 27 years. Three days back he developed high fever 103.5 with stomach ache and chills. 650 or Meftal forte SOS for high fever. He is bet...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, an acute infection is known to cause protein in the urine that can cause frothy urine. Moreover, urinary tract infection can also cause this. I would recommend you to get his urine test repeated after two weeks. A strict blood sugar and blood pressure control would...  Read Full »

What is serum creatinine and why do we measure it?

Query: Hello Doctor, What is serum creatinine and why do we measure it?  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We normally measure serum creatinine values in a few medical conditions. Serum creatinine is a very important determinant, since it is a waste product. Its elevation in the serum points some kidney disorder such as glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis, UTI (Urina...  Read Full »

I got a UTI two years back. Do I need to check my kidney function every 15 days?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about kidney function. I had a urinary tract infection about two years ago. From that period, I am doing blood tests to evaluate the kidney function every 15 days. My urine test is always within normal range, and no protein or glucose has been found. My blood creatini...  Read Full »

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The frequency with which follow-up is required is based upon the disease you are suffering from. From the statement that you had a urinary tract infection two years ago, I am not able to come to any conclusion regarding the exact disease. Yes, there are some dangerous ki...  Read Full »

What can happen to a person having 14 Crocin 650 mg tablets at once?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend has taken 14 tablets of Crocin 650 mg at a time? What can we do now? Is there any ayurveda treatment for that?  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Crocin is a Paracetamol drug. Your friend has consumed 14 tablets of Paracetamol which is a very high dose. It can cause the following side effects: Nausea and vomiting. Diarrhea and abdominal pain. Low blood pressure and low blood glucose level. Headache and skin all...  Read Full »

Can I take ayurveda medicine for more than 5 years for kidney problem?

Query: Hi doctor, My creatinine is between 1.70 to 2.10 for the last five years. I am on ayurveda kidney medicine. Can I take ayurveda medicine for kidney problem for more than 5 to 10 years? Will it cause any side effect on long term use?  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Any medicine whether it is ayurvedic or allopathic or homeopathy must be taken with precautions. Further, the ayurvedic medicine is of many types like herbal medicine having only herbal contents and medicine having minerals (having raw metallic contents). Mine...  Read Full »