Q. What could be the reason for my increased creatinine level?

Answered by
Dr. Aurangzebl Afzal
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2022

Hello doctor,

I have a UTI with an E. coli infection detected. My blood urea is 27 mg, and the serum creatinine is 1.3 mg. My primary health doctor advised me to consult with a nephrologist to find out the reason behind the rise of creatinine levels. He told me that the creatinine level is near borderline. I have back pain, waist pain, and discomfort in the urethra, and a little foamy urine,

We do not have any doctors in our area. There are not many doctors who are specialized in kidney disease. How should I maintain my health, and what are the precautions to be taken? Please give me a suggestion. Am I in a danger zone?



Welcome to

The probable cause could be interstitial kidney injury or interstitial nephritis. Differential diagnosis includes drug-induced kidney injury and infection-induced toxic insult. E.coli (Escherichia coli) can cause toxic and interstitial injury to kidneys, but it is usually reversible. As your ultrasound is fine, there is nothing to worry about. I suggest you taking:

1. Urine routine.

2. IgE (immunoglobulin E) levels and RFT (renal function tests).

3.PMRV (post-micturition residual volume).

After 14 days, they should be fine by then. Also, avoid sexual contact for the next three weeks. Currently, no medicine is needed if you do not have any symptoms. Increase fluid intake. No sexual activity. There will be no medicines for two weeks. Follow up in 15 days.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the reply.

The ultrasound I mentioned was done four months ago, and then after one month, the ultrasound that I have done has been attached. Shall I have to perform another latest ultrasound?



Welcome back to

I suggest taking a post-micturition residual volume ultrasound targeted to your problem.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am suffering from severe stomach pain after having medications for headache. Kindly advice.

.. a persistent headache in the frontal part of your head. Was there fever, chills, and rigor, were you feeling like vomiting, after taking those drugs prescribed for you? Did your headache subside? The medicines given at the pharmacy are fine for ma...   Read full

Maintenance drugs in kidney carcinoma patient has been stopped. What is your opinion?

.. gone through the details about your history. Cause of deranged renal function is multifactorial. First of all, Ketruda that is Pembrulizumab can cause interstitial nephritis, that can cause damage to kidney and rise of creatinine. Sartel is for b...   Read full

High sugar and creatinine levels. What might be the cause?

.. has been diagnosed with acute pyelonephritis that is there is infection in the kidneys. Her random blood sugar is also increased, which suggests that insulin dose should be increased. But, that depends on the treating doctor after assessing all h...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Nephrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.