Q. How can I be free from kidney stone?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 30, 2020

I am a 59 year old male. I had kidney stones problem for nearly eight years. I had multiple operations such as right pyelolithotomy and left ureterolithotomy to remove stone during that period. Now, after 20 years, I got a sudden pain and my ultrasound detected kidney stone. I had a CT scan, DTPA scan and kidney panel test. I have attached the reports for your reference. My left kidney has one stone and the right kidney is functioning very low with multiple stones. I would like to know how to proceed next.

#

• It is good that you remained without any major stone episodes for more than 10 years.
  • Your creatinine level is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which is good.
  • You can wait and follow up every three months with ultrasound for stones.
  • The best would be to undergo flexible ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy on both sides to achieve stone free status.

For further doubts consult a urologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I am more concerned about the right kidney. It is very small in size of about 52 x 18 x 20 mm and has only 9% relative functionality with three stones. Do you have any comments on this? Specifically, will it be more complex to achieve stone free status for the right kidney? Or would you advise to go for stone free status for both the kidneys?

#

• Ideally, the right kidney should be removed because as you rightly said, it would be really difficult to achieve stone free status and it is a poorly functioning unit.
  • At the moment, it would be worthwhile to clear the left renal calculus and just follow up.

|