Q. How can I be free from kidney stone?

Dr. Vivekanandan G

I am a 59 year old male. I had kidney stones problem for nearly eight years. I had multiple operations such as right pyelolithotomy and left ureterolithotomy to remove stone during that period. Now, after 20 years, I got a sudden pain and my ultrasound detected kidney stone. I had a CT scan, DTPA scan and kidney panel test. I have attached the reports for your reference. My left kidney has one stone and the right kidney is functioning very low with multiple stones. I would like to know how to proceed next.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• It is good that you remained without any major stone episodes for more than 10 years.
  • Your creatinine level is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which is good.
  • You can wait and follow up every three months with ultrasound for stones.
  • The best would be to undergo flexible ureteroscopy and laser lithotripsy on both sides to achieve stone free status.

For further doubts consult a urologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

I am more concerned about the right kidney. It is very small in size of about 52 x 18 x 20 mm and has only 9% relative functionality with three stones. Do you have any comments on this? Specifically, will it be more complex to achieve stone free status for the right kidney? Or would you advise to go for stone free status for both the kidneys?

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• Ideally, the right kidney should be removed because as you rightly said, it would be really difficult to achieve stone free status and it is a poorly functioning unit.
  • At the moment, it would be worthwhile to clear the left renal calculus and just follow up.

| 

What is the significance of increased creatinine level in a diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 56 year old male. I was told that my creatinine level is 2.3 after my last HbA1c. I am type 2 diabetic. I am now on Atkins diet to reduce dramatically lower carbohydrates. What is the significance of increased creatinine level? What is considered as a critical level? Please exp...  Read Full »

Can I take any medicine to lose weight fast?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 37 years old. I have gained a lot of weight of late and my weight is 101 kg at 5 feet and 7 inches. I got all the tests done and I have a fatty liver and am pre-diabetic. Can I take Metformin for weight loss and diabetes? Can it help me in reducing the fatty liver? Please help.  Read Full »

How to treat diarrhea in a metastatic carcinoma patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is having metastatic carcinoma and went through radiotherapy. Now, she has got severe diarrhea, swelling in face and do not like to eat food. Please help.  Read Full »