Q. What is the significance of increased creatinine level in a diabetic patient?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 08, 2020

I am a 56 year old male. I was told that my creatinine level is 2.3 after my last HbA1c. I am type 2 diabetic. I am now on Atkins diet to reduce dramatically lower carbohydrates. What is the significance of increased creatinine level? What is considered as a critical level? Please explain so that I can get some sort of a deeper understanding. I have also increased drinking water. I do not smoke or drink. I am not using any drugs too. Thank you.

#

We are here to help you.

• Rise in serum creatinine level in a diabetic person points towards the development of diabetic nephropathy.
  • Now, you required evaluation through the following:
  1. Ultrasound abdomen
  2. Repeat kidney function test.
  3. Urine examination.
  • You should make sure that your blood sugar and blood pressure remain in normal range.
  • Once these investigations are done, revert back with the report and your current medication list for further details.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|