HomeAnswersNephrologykidney transplantWhich BP medicine should I take after kidney transplant?

Which BP medicine is good for someone who had a kidney transplant?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 13, 2017
Reviewed AtJanuary 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had a kidney transplant 17 years ago. My local doctor is on a trip overseas. So, I need some help. My only problem now is an increase in the BP. It shows 170/110 and the creatinine level is 1.7. This is the second time, I am getting such levels. Three years ago, I got the same. But, that is due to an infection. But, now, there are no other problems indicated in the blood test and urine test. All are normal. Only creatinine levels and BP are the problems. Now, I take Atan 50 mg twice a day. Can I take Amlodipine or Enalapril? How to reduce BP and creatinine level. I want an online consultation.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • I would recommend you get your complete blood count, and urine culture done.
  • You can start with Amlodipine 5 mg once daily and can increase it to twice a day if the BP is not controlled.
  • You should not take Enalapril.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further query please ask me.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

Since Amlodipine is more painful and has side effects, is there any alternative BP tablet for kidney transplant patients? Do you recommend Lisinopril 2.5 mg or any other? May I also please recommended any good BP home monitor?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Amlodipine has minimal side effects as per clinical experiences. I am not happy with Lisinopril as it carries a risk of hyperkalemia in all CKD (chronic kidney disease) patients and that can be life-threatening.
  • I need to know if you have experienced any side effects with Amlodipine. If yes, mention them and I will help you with a better option.
  • You can buy Omron or Phillips digital instrument.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anshul Varshney
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy