iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersGeneral Practitionerknee painWhat causes knee pain and swelling?

What can cause knee pain with swelling?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 28, 2016
Reviewed AtJuly 21, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am 27 years old. I have knee pain in both the legs and it is paining alternatively for the past one and half years. Pain starts with swelling around the knee and stay for three to four hours and the pain will be at least once in one to two months. I feel like pinching with needle in the feet. I also get backbone pain in the early morning. I have consulted a specialist and he told to do the attached laboratory tests. I have ASO titer 800 IU/mL and I do not have any tiredness, headache, fever, history of jaundice, joint pain, etc. Please help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have noted your complaints and also gone through the reports carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You seem to have a preceding streptococcal A infection. I would like to know if you had any history of skin or throat infection left untreated or treated ineffectively in the recent past. Elevated ASO (anti-streptolysin O) titer, arthritis pain and swelling of both knees makes me think of rheumatic fever. I suggest you to do an echocardiogram (echo) to rule out any heart involvement and follow up every one or two months. Also, I suggest you to do the WBC (white blood cells), ESR - erythrocyte sedimentation rate, C-reactive protein (CRP), ASO titer and anti-DNAse B titer to be monitored every two weeks. Secondary prophylaxis to prevent recurrent rheumatic fever episodes and rheumatic heart disease, if diagnosed. I suggest you to take shots of Benzathine Penicillin G 1.2 million units for every four weeks or month may be for next three years. Also, you seem to have mild anemia, for which I suggest you to take capsule Livogen-Z (combination of ferrous fumarate and folic acid) twice a day for one month. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Physical examination and detailed clinical history play a vital role. Hence, I suggest you to visit a rheumatologist or general physician in person for the betterment of your health. Thank you and take care. Regards

Investigations to be done

Investigations to be done are anti-DNAse B and echocardiogram.

Probable diagnosis

The probable diagnosis is Rheumatic fever.

Treatment plan

The treatment plan is as follows: NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Celecoxib 200 mg, Piroxicam 20 mg twice a day. It can help to reduce the symptoms of pain and swelling.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Narayanasamy Senduran
Dr. Narayanasamy Senduran

General Practitioner

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

knee painaso titer

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Practitioner

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy