Q. What can cause knee pain with swelling?

Dr. Senduran N
Published on Jun 28, 2016

I am 27 years old. I have knee pain in both the legs and it is paining alternatively for the past 1.5 years. Pain starts with swelling around the knee and stay for three to four hours and the pain will be at least once in one to two months. I feel like pinching with needle in the feet. I also get backbone pain in the early morning. I have consulted a specialist and he told to do the attached laboratory tests. I have ASO titer 800 IU/mL and I do not have any tiredness, headache, fever, history of jaundice, joint pain, etc. Please help.

Dr. Senduran N

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have noted your complaints and also gone through the reports carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You seem to have a preceding streptococcal A infection.
  • I would like to know if you had any history of skin or throat infection left untreated or treated ineffectively in the recent past.
  • Elevated ASO (anti-streptolysin O) titer, arthritis pain and swelling of both knees makes me think of rheumatic fever.
  • I suggest you to do an echocardiogram (echo) to rule out any heart involvement and follow up every one or two months.
  • Also, I suggest you to do the WBC (white blood cells), ESR - erythrocyte sedimentation rate, C-reactive protein (CRP), ASO titer and anti-DNAse B titer to be monitored every two weeks.
  • Secondary prophylaxis to prevent recurrent rheumatic fever episodes and rheumatic heart disease, if diagnosed.
  • I suggest you to take shots of Benzathine Penicillin G 1.2 million units for every four weeks or month may be for next three years.
  • Also, you seem to have mild anemia, for which I suggest you to take capsule Livogen-Z (combination of ferrous fumarate and folic acid) twice a day for  one month. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Physical examination and detailed clinical history play a vital role. Hence, I suggest you to visit a rheumatologist or general physician in person for the betterment of your health.

Anti-DNAse B and echocardiogram.

Rheumatic fever.

NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Celecoxib 200 mg, Piroxicam 20 mg twice a day. It can help to reduce the symptoms of pain and swelling.

For further information consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

What is the treatment for knee swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 50 years old. He has swelling in left knee and some liquid is coming out of the knee. He consulted an orthopedic doctor and he prescribed some tests and medicine to him. Also, the doctor said his bones are weak. Please explain me what should I do know. Also, let me know wheth...  Read Full »

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full »

Knee Pain in Old Age - Osteoarthritis

Article Overview: Knee pain is the most common joint problem seen in older adults. Osteoarthritis is the leading cause of this. Learn more about this condition here. Read Article

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic joint disorder in which there is progressive softening and disintegration of articular cartilage accompanied by new growth of bone at the joint margins and capsular fibrosis. Osteoarthritis may be asymmetrically or symmetrically distributed and often localized to onl...  Read Article

Ask a General Practitioner Now