Q. I am disappointed with my exam result due to lack of concentration. What to do?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
Published on Oct 16, 2019

I am disappointed about my failure in the job exam. My weak point is that I did not concentrate fully on my studies; my mind is flying here and there. Even, when I wake up early in the morning, I discover, my brain works whole night by thinking. And every morning I remember what had happened in my dream. How can I fix my flying mind and concentrate on one thing deeply? Please help.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

Lack of concentration can be due to many reasons. From what I understand in your case is that you are under a lot of stress. When the brain is in stress, it tends to avoid the main task of finding relief by focusing on non-essential things.

The first thing you should do is take up measures to reduce stress. There are many such exercises on the internet, and you can pick the one that works for you.

Secondly, you should work on procrastination. Instead of studying for long hours, and draining yourself, take frequent breaks and use the Pomodoro technique. There are various skills you can learn to improve your concentration. There are many courses you can do.

I do not have the details of your situation, so I can not suggest more. If still, you feel the need, you can talk to a counselor or take an online session and can discuss the details of the problem and find a solution.

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Please suggest a treatment for feeling sad and depressed all the time.

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 21 year old male. I feel quite sad and depressed. I do not even want to perform daily routine. My life is monotonous. I get a lot of negative thoughts. I am so lazy and feel like I do not want to live. I am weak and I lack concentration. I do not feel like going out of my house....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Symptoms that are commonly present in a depressed patient are: Sad mood. Disturbance of sleep. Disturbance of appetite. Feeling of inappropriate guilt. Loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities. Loss of self-esteem. Hopelessness or worthlessness. L...  Read Full