Q. How to induce lactation to breastfeed my adopted baby?

Dr. Sujata Mittal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Mar 18, 2019

My wife is 36 years old and we have two male children. Now, we plan to adopt a baby girl in the next six months. As, I read an article of yours on internet about induced lactation for adoption, could you please help my wife breastfeed? Please note that one doctor prescribed Zandu satavarex, Perinorm 10 mg three a day and pumping every 2 hours. But, my wife had uneasiness due to flatulence and gas. Please note that it has been three years since she last breastfed. Thanks.

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Thanks for corresponding and connecting through icliniq.

Yes, I had a study, and it is lovely that you are adopting a baby girl. Perinorm (Metoclopramide) does cause increased intestinal motility. Well, every drug has some side effects.

I recommend tablet Domperidone 10 mg twice daily empty stomach. Your wife can stop pumping as it is hurtful. Instead, tickling of both breast three times a day for three to five times will help in stimulating the nipple.

Also, cumin seed water daily will help. Your wife can stop all other medications given by other doctors as it can have side effects. Also, your wife should not have liver and renal impairment. Kindly get KFT (kidney function test) and LFT (liver function test) done. Also, please inform if she is taking any medications for a heart problem or any other disease to reduce side effects.

Start this minimum of 6 weeks before adopting the baby. Also, understand that the quality of the milk will not be the same as the milk produced after actual baby birth.

Botox - a Toxin with Great Cosmetic Result for Removing Wrinkles

Article Overview: Wrinkles on the face are often due to expression, which includes frowning, concentrating or smiling. These wrinkles get deeper as we grew old, because of loss of elasticity of our skin. But, with the administration of Botulinum toxin (Botox) our facial muscles are gently relaxed and the wrinkles improve. Read Article

Cosmetologist

Botulinum toxin is a neurotoxin derived from Clostridium botulinum. There are eight distinct antigenic serotypes of exotoxins and among these only A and B are used for various medical indications. Exotoxin A is the most commonly used and it is more potent than exotoxin B. How does It work? Botulin...  Read Article

Is it safe to take Triphala during breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 32 years old. I delivered a baby two months ago. My issue is that due to hard motion, there is blood. I am taking Anuloma DS tablet. If I stop taking the tablet, again my motion will be hard and bleeding is there. Shall I take this medicine regularly as the baby is small? So help m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Definitely, you should be careful about medications whatever you are taking during the lactation period. Because it may affect the baby's health. During pregnancy and after delivery constipation is a common issue. You should try to manage it naturally. Anuloma DS i...  Read Full

There is dryness and cracks on nipple. How to get relief?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a mother of two - 1.7 months and 4 months old. I am currently breastfeeding the younger one. I have a problem with my right breast which makes me doubt if it is something related to cancer. Nowadays it is getting really dry and there appear cracks on my nipple. I used Avalon nipple...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think it is related to anything serious issue. During breastfeeding, it is common to have nipple infection which causes cracks, pain, dryness, etc. So, it is better to avoid feeding the baby from the affected breast for three or four days and keep it clean...  Read Full