Q. Baby feeds only five minutes at a time. Is she getting proper feed?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr.Sowmiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 31, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 11, 2022

My daughter is two months old. She feeds only for five minutes at a time. I am worried if she is getting proper feed, and if not, what should I do? My milk let down is too fast. So, every time she feeds, and gets choked. Please suggest how I can help her.

#

Please note the following points:

1) Monitor the child's weight to see if he or she is getting proper feeds and gaining adequate weight.

2) You can feed the baby with a bottle or with a sipper to monitor how much feeds the child is taking, and this will also regulate the flow of milk. However, use a sterilizer to clean these so that there is no chance of infection.

3) Visit a lactation consultant to find out what problems you are facing while feeding and how they can be rectified.

4)Burp the baby for at least 15 to 20 minutes post feed.

|