Q. There is dryness and cracks on nipple. How to get relief?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

I am a mother of two - 1.7 months and 4 months old. I am currently breastfeeding the younger one. I have a problem with my right breast which makes me doubt if it is something related to cancer. Nowadays it is getting really dry and there appear cracks on my nipple. I used Avalon nipple cream. But from yesterday my breast has shrunk and my nipples too. There are a few lumps on my nipple as well. Even though I apply cream it is not getting relieved. It is getting worse day by day.

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncology
#

I do not think it is related to anything serious issue.

During breastfeeding, it is common to have nipple infection which causes cracks, pain, dryness, etc.

So, it is better to avoid feeding the baby from the affected breast for three or four days and keep it clean all the time. If it did not improve, then better to consult your GP. They may prescribe antibiotics.

For more information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

| 

I have a sharp stabbing pain inside my breast.My mom has breast cancer.Do I have cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old female. A few days ago I noticed that my left breast was very tender. Yesterday morning I started feeling sharp stabbing pain inside my breast near the nipple every hour or so. Yesterday night I started to feel the pain 10 times worse and more frequently. I also not...  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now