Q. Why is 5-month-old baby having loose motion with pH level of 6?

Dr. Shilpa Reddy Diggireddy
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 07, 2019

I have a 5-month-old baby who is having loose motion, so got his test done for reducing substances. It has a pH level of 6 and a positive report. What does this report signify? Otherwise, he is very gassy and burps and passes gas a lot. Please help.

#

The reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) state that he is lactose intolerant. You have to avoid milk and milk products for a minimum of 15 days. Give him normal food, rice, dal, and vegetables, etc. After his stool has returned to normal color and consistency for four days, then you can start with small quantity such as 100 ml once a day and check if the symptoms return.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

He is exclusively breastfed baby and I have not started on anything yet. I will start after he has completed six months, otherwise, he is gaining weight and everything else is fine.

#

Please start him on probiotics. Enterogermina Respules (Bacillus Clausii) half twice a day morning and night. Sporlac (Lactobacillus) full one sachet with some of your milk expressed thrice a day.

I got his stool culture done, what does this report say?

#

E-Coli is a normal gut bacteria. It is present in everyone. But, when its number increase to more than the normal limits, it causes diarrhea. But your child's report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggest lactase deficient diarrhea for which, I mentioned earlier that you have to stop milk and milk products and start him on mashed rice with dal and vegetables.

But since you are unhappy with that, please continue the medication that I have prescribed earlier along with ORS (oral rehydration solution) sachets mixed with appropriate amount of water as mentioned on the packet and give him two tablespoons every hour. If his diarrhea persists still, then you have to go for injection antibiotics. I am assuring you again that E-Coli is a common organism found in the body. Do not worry about that. Please try to change the diet to what I have said earlier.

Yes, I am breastfeeding and he is 8.6 kg. He is pooping five to six times. It is not watery and I have stopped all the dairy products. Should I be concerned about the reports or is it fine?

#

Do not worry about the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It just tells us which drug is useful for him presently, if we need to start her on antibiotics. If the motion is not watery, then you have nothing to worry about. Just continue the medicine and he will be fine.

|