Q. Is a biofilm responsible for recurrent vaginosis in me?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I have been suffering from bacterial vaginosis for around seven years now and I have tried absolutely everything, nothing seems to be working. I have been prescribed multiple antibiotics and they only work whilst I am taking them and after that, the infection comes right back. After doing some research I came across the term biofilms and truly believe I may have a biofilm in my vaginal wall preventing me from curing this horrible infection. I understand antibiotics and other methods are unlikely to cure BV completely if there is an underlying issue such as a biofilm. I am also aware of the fact that biofilm can make bacterial vaginosis reoccur which is what keeps happening to me. It comes right back after taking anything for it. If this is the case what do you advise to get rid of this? I am willing to try anything.

#

Biofilms are sticking of bacteria or infection that remains in the wall of the vagina and cause recurrence of infection. Vagina has its specific pH and it is maintained by bacteria lactobacilli that are normal flora of the vagina. Disbalance of pH occurring by this bacteria has less proportion in comparison to other infective organisms. You have taken treatment many times but this infection recurs due to effect on your normal flora by medications recurrently. My advice to you is to have some natural approach to the problem and less exposure to the medications recurrently to normal flora as it is affecting normal flora of the vagina. Have sitz baths (sit in warm water to relief irritation). Have soft comfortable undergarments, strict hygiene. Use only clean water locally. No products use of any kind. Try to use condoms for some time to reduce transmission of sexually transmitted disease.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I have a white discharge from vagina. What could it be?

Query: Hello Doctor,  I have a fishy odour, white and milky discharge coming from my vaginal area. I am a 28 year old female. What could it be?  Read Full »

Am I having recurrent BV because of unprotected sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I have recurring BV and I do not know why. I have stopped taking baths, I do not douche, I never use any scented products. I am in a monogamous relationship. I just realized that my fiance washes his penis with shampoo, and we have unprotected sex. Could this be why I cannot seem to get...  Read Full »

Which infection causes sore throat, white patches, and excess mucus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat, white patches, excess mucus (postnasal drip), and small red bumps on my tongue. What kind of infection is this?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»