Q. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge. Should I opt for a hysterectomy?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on May 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 52 year old female, who weighs 75 kg and I am 152 cm tall. I want to know whether we should opt for hysterectomy or not. I do not want to do a hysterectomy, as it may interfere with hormonal balance later. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge, with a fair amount of red spots. What could be the cause?

I went through menopause 1.5 years back. I have type 2 diabetes, for which I take Glimepiride 1 mg, once daily. And I have hypothyroidism, for which I take Eltroxin, once daily. I was diagnosed with asymptomatic cholelithiasis, 15 years back. I have attached my ultrasound of the lower abdomen, transvaginal ultrasound, pap smear, and MRI pelvis reports.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

According to the reports, there is an increased thickening of the endometrium, which is the inner lining of the uterus. A thickness of more than 5 mm is considered abnormal and often considered as a predictor of cancer.

Those women who are diabetic, are more prone to spotting.

Your doctor had rightly directed for a hysterectomy. I assure you, at 52 years, there is no chance of hormonal imbalance following hysterectomy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for your advice. One more thing, looking at the reports, there is no direct indication of any malignant growth. Would not biopsy detect any malignant growth? The sample would be taken from a particular place, if that place is free of malignant cells, the test will be negative. We have to attend a conference in a couple of months. Will it be fine to travel by flight for about 24 hours after the surgery? Or can the hysterectomy wait for two months? We are also planning to have the cholecystectomy simultaneously.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You are right, looking at the reports (attachment removed to protect patient privacy) there is no conclusive evidence of malignancy. But, there are symptoms and reports which are early predictors of malignancy.

• Modern medical science tries to pick the cases before they develop some irreversible damage. That is the reason we prefer a hysterectomy well in advance. As an example, 50 % women with postmenopausal bleeding develop a malignancy. So, you can be on either side of the 50 %.
  • Moreover, I do not ask for a biopsy here as you have thought, there might be skipped zones which often tell you a negative result, even if the biopsy is performed microscopically.
  • Lastly, you can fly for long hours after the surgery, depending on your general condition. It might take two weeks for recovery, after a laparoscopic or vaginal surgery.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

You have been very helpful. I think we will opt for LAVH. But, is hysterectomy advisable immediately, or we can do it after two months?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The choice of the route of operation depends on various factors apart from your personal choice. There are some physical factors like obesity, the number of childbirth, route of childbirth, and associated diseases.

Secondly, a local examination is needed whether the uterus is low down or descended enough and suitable for a vaginal route. Often there is associated prolapse of bladder and bowel present, and that is better dealt by a vaginal hysterectomy.

Lastly, the surgeon's preference is the key. If after examining you, if he or she can feel vaginal route is acceptable, then will opt for it. Otherwise, just ask her whether LAVH (laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy) can be done. Postoperative recovery time and pain are usually same for both.

Finally, if you have an asymptomatic cholelithiasis, just ask your doctor whether it is feasible to evaluate the gall bladder by a general surgeon in the same sitting.

Is the spotting along with urination? Or it is a spotting from uterus? If it is from the uterus, she can start tablet Sevista (Ormeloxifene) 60 mg, twice a week, after consulting your doctor. Otherwise, repeat urine examination with culture sensitivity.

After consulting many experts, we got three different views. First to carry out the hysteroscopy biopsy and D and C, in case of non-malignity we do not need to opt for hysterectomy even with the endometrial thickness of 9 mm. Second, remove the uterus and cervix, but keep the ovaries as ovaries produce 20%-30% of the required hormones even after menopause. Third, remove uterus and ovaries altogether and carry out the biopsy through the frozen section at the time of TLH. Please advise on the best option. What happens to hormone productions (even if it is 20%-30%) after removal of ovaries? If ovaries are removed, should I opt HRT?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Already I have explained you all the options. The hysteroscopic biopsy cannot rule out either the possibility of missed areas or the development of cancer in future as she is a high-risk woman.

The 20% to 30% hormone production never occurs after menopause. Do you want to take the risk of development of ovarian cancer later from the left out ovaries? HRT is not a routine and only prescribed in rare instances if somebody develops symptoms.

There is no scope of frozen section biopsy in TLH (total laparoscopic hysterectomy).

Lastly, this is an advice from a gynecologist who is practically in the field. Keep it in mind, stop googling further and proceed accordingly. This operation has been advised not only for removing a diseased organ but also as this organ might turn malignant later, even if it is benign at present.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

All about Cervical Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail about cervical cancer, one of the most common illnesses in women these days. Read Article

Dr. Noela David Andrew David
Medical Oncologist

Every year, many women above the age of 40 are being diagnosed and treated for cervical cancer. If detected early, this disease can be treated. Every woman needs to be consciously aware of this condition, and timely screening helps identify this illness earlier. Thus, your doctor will be able to giv...  Read Article

Is Vaginal Birth Possible after a Caesarean Delivery?

Article Overview: In the earlier days the norm was 'once a caesarean, then always a caesarean'. Nowadays it has changed quite a lot due to advances in medical sciences, and also due to the awareness of the advantages of normal delivery over caesarean. Read Article

Dr. Sabita Laskar

There are few factors on which a successful vaginal birth following a Caesarean delivery (C-section) depends. Your chances for a normal delivery are good if: You have already had only one C-section. You have had a normal delivery after a C-section. Yours is an uncomplicated pregnancy w...  Read Article

Conquering Cervical Cancer

Article Overview: Cancer cervix (mouth of the womb or uterus) is one of the leading causes of death due to cancer in women. Read on this article to know how to conquer cervical cancer. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Virtually all types of cervical cancers are caused by high risk types of HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) which is usually spread through sexual contact. Hence, in effect the HPV vaccines can prevent 70 percent of cervical cancers before exposure to HPV (i.e, before onset of sexual activity). These...  Read Article