Q. What medicines can I take for throat irritation post LASIK surgery?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 32 years now. Last Monday got LASIK for my eyes and in recovery phase this week. I had cold before that which has increased and continuing till now. I have throat irritation and slight nose block for which I took Otrivin at night for 2 days but still not much improvement. What tablets shall I take? I also have some mouth ulcer for past 2 days. What tablets shall I take for that? LASIK doctor had told no restriction in food or medical practices. After your suggestion will also check with him once if you recommend so. Thank you.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

• If I was your treating physician, I would recommend you over-the-counter cough syrups like Syrup Grilinctus (contains Dextromethorphan hydrobromide, Chlorpheniramine maleate, Guaifenesin and Ammonium chloride). Take one teaspoon syrup of about 5 ml three times a day for one week.
  • Please do warm water gargle twice daily. It is relatively safe and has no addictive ingredients. It will give you some symptomatic relief.
  • For mouth ulcer you can use Zytee-RB gel (combination of Choline salicylate and Benzalkonium chloride) to be applied over the ulcer in the mouth.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

I have tried Grilinctus yesterday twice, at noon and night, but looks like it is triggering more dry cough now. This is more than it was before. Can I still continue? Or do we have any other alternative? I took vitamin B complex tablet and found my mouth ulcer got cured. LASIK doctor told I could take normal medication as I have crossed 1 week and my eye healing is normal.

#

Thanks for writing back with an update. Nice to know your mouth ulcer has healed and please continue taking vitamin.

• It is early to judge that Grilinctus is causing your dry cough. However, you can stop Grilinctus and take Cetirizine tablet 10 mg at night for a week. This will give you to get relief from dry cough.
  • If Cetirizine is not working for your dry cough then you can take Fexofenadine which is Allegra 120 mg once daily for a week.
  • It looks like you are having symptoms from cold weather. Please take precautions for cold and avoid dust and pollution.
  • Please continue to do warm water gargle twice daily.

|