iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPulmonology (Asthma Doctors)chronic bronchitisApart from Albuterol, what can I do to cure chronic bronchitis?

What is the treatment for chronic bronchitis with fever, horrrible cough and shortness of breathe?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At February 26, 2020
Reviewed AtApril 5, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I get sick every two-three months. My doctor diagnosed me with chronic bronchitis about a year ago. I get the same symptoms every time the illness flairs up again. The symptoms consist of a snotty nose, fever, shaking, weak, shortness of breath and a persistent horrible cough. I also throw up some of the things I eat and foam when I drink things. I have an inhaler that I plug into the wall and inhale the Albuterol vapor that the machine produces. I would just like to know what else I can do to treat this painful illness?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

In many cases of chronic bronchitis, acute symptoms appear due to infection. So, I would advise in such a scenario to get a hemogram with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and chest x-ray done. If the chest x-ray and these blood investigations show no sign of infection then, you would be treated for bronchitis.

Treatment constitutes antiallergic drugs like Levocetirizine and Montelukast and in severe cases inhalers containing like Salbutamol and steroid inhaler like Budenoside.

In case of severe spasm and coughing, a steroid like Prednisolone can be used for a short course, after being sure that there is no active infection or pneumonia.

If you do not have a severe cough or respiratory distress, and your chest if found clear on examination, then a cough syrup containing Salbutamol, Levocetirizine, Dextromethorphan will help you greatly.

Benzonatate pearls are helpful in an allergic cough only, as they just anesthetize the throat and reduce the allergic cough response. But in cases of severe chest congestion, they are not useful. Also, do steam inhalation for symptomatic relief.

I would advise you to see your doctor and get investigated. Share my opinion with him, I am sure he would agree to it and would prescribe you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anshul Varshney
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy